Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
We can burn a mpg4 1.45gb movie on DVD-R disc, it plays perfect on a any Imac and PC using quicktime,however doesn't play on any DVD player, please help, thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Not many DVD players, the physical ones positioned near a TV, can play .mp4 files.

What DVD player do you have and did you made sure via its manual that it is able to play .mp4 files?

If so it may be cause of the codec you used for the .mp4 file, so what codec did you use (you can look that up via the Movie Inspector in QuickTime - CMD+I)?

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Not many DVD players, the physical ones positioned near a TV, can play .mp4 files.

What DVD player do you have and did you made sure via its manual that it is able to play .mp4 files?

If so it may be cause of the codec you used for the .mp4 file, so what codec did you use (you can look that up via the Movie Inspector in QuickTime - CMD+I)?

Thank you spinnerlys for replying the format is .....H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions
AAC, 6 channels, 48000 Hz. I cant get it played on any physical DVD, Do we need a mp4 converter software ?? I'm using a Blue Ray LG that plays mp4 but still, the idea is to be able to play on any DVD like any regular DVD movie

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thank you spinnerlys for replying the format is .....H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions
AAC, 6 channels, 48000 Hz. I cant get it played on any physical DVD, Do we need a mp4 converter software ?? I'm using a Blue Ray LG that plays mp4 but still, the idea is to be able to play on any DVD like any regular DVD movie

A DVD player, also one that plays video files, is only meant for video in Standard Definition (SD).
Your example .mp4 file is in High Definition (HD, 720p), which can not be played back on an SD player.

Have a look at your DVD player's manual what it can and can't do.

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
A DVD player, also one that plays video files, is only meant for video in Standard Definition (SD).
Your example .mp4 file is in High Definition (HD, 720p), which can not be played back on an SD player.

Have a look at your DVD player's manual what it can and can't do.

My frien burns the file on dvd using windows and can be played on any Dvd player beleive me is Sd with blue ray quality, I do t know why doesnt work on Imac.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
My frien burns the file on dvd using windows and can be played on any Dvd player beleive me is Sd with blue ray quality, I do t know why doesnt work on Imac.

It may be true that your friend burns HD content to an SD medium, but in that process it will have to be converted.

1280x720 is HD resolution, DVD players can only display 720/68x576.
Even video files can't be larger than 720/68x576 to be playable by an SD device like a video DVD player.

So ask your friend, if s/he burns the file directly to DVD or if it gets converted first, and also what kind of player s/he uses.

And there is no SD with Blu Ray quality. It's either SD or HD (Blu Ray is HD).
Maybe just the picture quality is immensely good.

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
are you sure you arent burning a data dvd? to play on a dvd player it needs to be authored correctly

i reccomend toast or burn for such purposes

How do I author correctly?? I just do right click on the quicktime movie and select burn to disc, may be Im just burnng data how can I do it it can be played on any Dvd??? Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How do I author correctly?? I just do right click on the quicktime movie and select burn to disc, may be Im just burnng data how can I do it it can be played on any Dvd??? Thanks

Data DVDs (the one with files you put there) differ from video DVDs (they contain a set structure, an Audio_TS and a Video_TS folder with MPEG-2 encoded video).

Data DVDs can't be read by video DVD players, only if compatible files are on them and the DVD player supports them, but those files need to be in SD resolution.

To be able to play your HD .mp4 file on the DVD player, you have to either down convert the video to SD and then burn it in a compatible format (with compatible codec) onto a data DVD, or create a video DVD by using authoring software that is capable of converting videos to MPEG-2 encoded video files (they have the suffix .vob on video DVDs).

Burn (a free Mac OS X software) and Toast can do that, although iDVD might be able to do that, but I don't know if it accepts HD source video.

You can give Burn a try.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Open iDVD, drag your HD file to it. If iDVD accepts it, it will convert it to standard definition MPEG2 and appropriate audio. Older DVD players may not be able to play it. Mine from many years ago can't handle homemade DVDs.

If you want to make a Blu-Ray disc you will need Toast with its Blu-Ray extension. It is capable of burning your HD content to a Blu-Ray disc or a red laser (standard) DVD disc. The PS3 and newer BR players can read either.

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Data DVDs (the one with files you put there) differ from video DVDs (they contain a set structure, an Audio_TS and a Video_TS folder with MPEG-2 encoded video).

Data DVDs can't be read by video DVD players, only if compatible files are on them and the DVD player supports them, but those files need to be in SD resolution.

To be able to play your HD .mp4 file on the DVD player, you have to either down convert the video to SD and then burn it in a compatible format (with compatible codec) onto a data DVD, or create a video DVD by using authoring software that is capable of converting videos to MPEG-2 encoded video files (they have the suffix .vob on video DVDs).

Burn (a free Mac OS X software) and Toast can do that, although iDVD might be able to do that, but I don't know if it accepts HD source video.

You can give Burn a try.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

thank you so much I've learned a lot how ever havent been able to make it when try to encode the movie to DVD I got this error..
Resampling with input channels greater than 2 unsupported.
Can not resample 6 channels @ 48000 Hz to 2 channels @ 48000 Hz

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
If you're new to burning DVDs on a Mac, I suggest starting out with iDVD.

Run iDVD and click New Project

Give your project a name, and select either standard or widescreen for the format (depending on the file you're burning). And click Create.

Next, select a theme. The theme is what will show up when you first pop your DVD into the player and it gives you access to all of your menus and chapters for the movie. Each theme will have different "drop zones" for different movies. Drop zones can range in number from 1 to 19. The only purpose of these drop zones are to show small clips of your movie when you're on the menu screen. Adding a movie to a drop zone will not add the movie to the DVD, these are only for aesthetic purposes.

Now you have to add the .mpg4 file to the movie. Remember how you drag and dropped the file onto the drop zone? The same principles apply here but instead you drop the file in any area but a drop zone. Or you can go to File > Import > Video. If you do not like how the name of the title appears in iDVD, you can simply double click it and change it to whatever you desire.

If you want your movie to have chapters, click on the title of the movie in iDVD and select Advanced > Create Chapter Markers for Movie. It will then let you define how long (in minutes) you want the chapters to be and click OK.

Finally all that is left to do is to burn your movie. If your movie size is less than 4.2GB (which in your case it is) there shouldn't be too much of a loss in quality in the encoding process. However, a DVD can only support a video resolution of up to 720×480. Being that the resolution of your file is substantially larger, it will have to be encoded at 720×480, so some loss in quality could occur.

Depending on the length of the movie, it can take iDVD several hours to encode it before it's able to burn the movie. The average feature length movie usually takes 1-2 hours.

I have burned DVDs in the past with iDVD and have never had a problem playing them. I have an old Philips player I purchased around 2003 and I figure if it can play them, any of them can.

I hope I've covered all of the steps and been clear in my explanations. Good luck!

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
If you're new to burning DVDs on a Mac, I suggest starting out with iDVD.

Run iDVD and click New Project

Give your project a name, and select either standard or widescreen for the format (depending on the file you're burning). And click Create.

Next, select a theme. The theme is what will show up when you first pop your DVD into the player and it gives you access to all of your menus and chapters for the movie. Each theme will have different "drop zones" for different movies. Drop zones can range in number from 1 to 19. The only purpose of these drop zones are to show small clips of your movie when you're on the menu screen. Adding a movie to a drop zone will not add the movie to the DVD, these are only for aesthetic purposes.

Now you have to add the .mpg4 file to the movie. Remember how you drag and dropped the file onto the drop zone? The same principles apply here but instead you drop the file in any area but a drop zone. Or you can go to File > Import > Video. If you do not like how the name of the title appears in iDVD, you can simply double click it and change it to whatever you desire.

If you want your movie to have chapters, click on the title of the movie in iDVD and select Advanced > Create Chapter Markers for Movie. It will then let you define how long (in minutes) you want the chapters to be and click OK.

Finally all that is left to do is to burn your movie. If your movie size is less than 4.2GB (which in your case it is) there shouldn't be too much of a loss in quality in the encoding process. However, a DVD can only support a video resolution of up to 720×480. Being that the resolution of your file is substantially larger, it will have to be encoded at 720×480, so some loss in quality could occur.

Depending on the length of the movie, it can take iDVD several hours to encode it before it's able to burn the movie. The average feature length movie usually takes 1-2 hours.

I have burned DVDs in the past with iDVD and have never had a problem playing them. I have an old Philips player I purchased around 2003 and I figure if it can play them, any of them can.

I hope I've covered all of the steps and been clear in my explanations. Good luck!

thanks so much I will try that step by step today, actually Im using Toast 8 but encoding the file is taking easily 10 hours too much,... I wonder if there's any other way, I know the movie is HD with 1080x720 resolution but still too much time, thnks for the advise.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
thanks so much I will try that step by step today, actually Im using Toast 8 but encoding the file is taking easily 10 hours too much,... I wonder if there's any other way, I know the movie is HD with 1080x720 resolution but still too much time, thnks for the advise.

Dang, 10 hours?! Honestly, the one time I have burned a movie from a video file with Toast it has never played on a stand alone DVD player. In order to burn a DVD with Toast I always convert the video to DVD format with VisualHub (which has sadly been discontinued) and then burn the Video_TS folder which works just fine. iDVD on the other hand has never given me any issues.

robinbl01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Dang, 10 hours?! Honestly, the one time I have burned a movie from a video file with Toast it has never played on a stand alone DVD player. In order to burn a DVD with Toast I always convert the video to DVD format with VisualHub (which has sadly been discontinued) and then burn the Video_TS folder which works just fine. iDVD on the other hand has never given me any issues.

if you try any mp4 1.40gb to burn as DVD with Toast will take 3 hours encoding and still 1% done, however with Nero takes 20 minutes encoding and burning CD I dont understand why

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
if you try any mp4 1.40gb to burn as DVD with Toast will take 3 hours encoding and still 1% done, however with Nero takes 20 minutes encoding and burning CD I dont understand why

Really? Dang. I have no clue how to burn a DVD on Windows so I'm not sure how the software compares to those for Mac OS X.

VisualHub has transmogrified into Video Monkey - but you don't really need it to make DVDs. Use iDVD or Toast as described above. If you can't get either of those two to work, making DVDs that play on a set-top player, you're doing it wrong!

I actually came across VideoMonkey about two months ago by accident. It definitely has promise but as of now it only converts to .mp4

nanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
is it possible to make mp4 data dvd?

:Dhi,
I am trying to burn some mp4 movie file to data dvd. But I ended with error. tried many time with different s/w on windows. Please let me know whether it is possible. if you have any tool to do, please share with me. I tried with small size file (25mb). it writes correctly. But my movies are all above 2GB.

Not many DVD players, the. physical ones positioned near a TV, can play .mp4 files.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
:Dhi,
I am trying to burn some mp4 movie file to data dvd. But I ended with error. tried many time with different s/w on windows. Please let me know whether it is possible. if you have any tool to do, please share with me. I tried with small size file (25mb). it writes correctly. But my movies are all above 2GB.

What software do you use to burn the data DVD and what file system settings did you use?
Most probably the file system you have chosen does not support files bigger than a certain amount, that's why video DVDs with its VIDEO_TS folders have .vob files no bigger than 1.x GB.

nanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
MP4 file to data DVD

hi,
I tryed on ISO and UDF by Nero and several dvd writing software. I want to make on data DVD without conversion.
Please advice me if there is any successful method.

thanks in advance

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
hi,
I tryed on ISO and UDF by Nero and several dvd writing software. I want to make on data DVD without conversion.
Please advice me if there is any successful method.

thanks in advance

Joliet should do the trick, but I don't Nero anymore, thus I don't know which option to choose. Look into the help menu or ask on the Nero support forum on how to burn files 2GB in size, as this board is Mac OS X (and iOS) orientated and is more comfortable with Toast Titanium and Burn.

I just remembered, that I burned several DVDs with files lager than 1.5GB in size, thus it is doable, but I used Toast Titanium and used the "Mac & PC" preset in there. Nero should have the same option.

Angra-mainju

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
UK
I have couple of 1080p mp4s and want to watch it on my blu ray player on my plasma. How can i put it on a normal DVD disc and play it on the player with HD quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.