Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I am having a difficult time finding out if this is possible. I want to put 4 GB RAM 2 x 2 GB modules in a v 1,1 MBP with a 2 GHz Core Duo CPU.

I really thought 4 GB was possible? However, Mac Sales only list 2 GB as the maximum. I wasn't aware of this limitation? I had a C2D version MBP that had 4 GB RAM, so maybe that is the difference?

I did look for this information elsewhere, and all I see is 2 GB maximum, but I am praying to be able to install more???

Anyone confirm one way or another? Can I put 2 x 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM in a v 1,1 MBP with 2 GHz Core Duo CPU and 128 MB VRAM ATI x1600?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You can only go beyond 2 GB of RAM on the models after the Core Duo one that you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured MacSales.com would rather sell me 4 GB if they could... it just seems like a low limitation? Must be due to Core Duo itself.

Oh well, my wife is going to get one POS. It only works on a desk, and it's limited to 2 GB RAM. LOL oh well, at least it has 2 GHz CPU and Snow Leopard.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Nope, the machine won't even display the Apple logo if you put in more than 2GB of RAM. I tried 3GB in my machine and it didn't work :(

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
It's a hardware limitation. Older chipsets can't use more than a certain amount of RAM. For the Core Duo, it can only use 2 GB. Newer hardware can utilize more.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
It's a hardware limitation. Older chipsets can't use more than a certain amount of RAM. For the Core Duo, it can only use 2 GB. Newer hardware can utilize more.

The MacBook Pro 1,1 uses the same chipset as the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Late 2006), but the latter can support 4GB (actually 3.3GB). Other Core Duo machines (such as the Dell Inspiron 9400) can support 4GB. Apple just castrated the Core Duo MacBook Pros.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MacBook Pro 1,1 uses the same chipset as the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Late 2006), but the latter can support 4GB (actually 3.3GB). Other Core Duo machines (such as the Dell Inspiron 9400) can support 4GB. Apple just castrated the Core Duo MacBook Pros.

Typical Apple. Ensuring we will keep updating. Just as they did with the limit of 4 GB (6GB) on the pre-unibody and even first unibody MBPs. Those should support 8 GB and the chipset did, but Apple says 4 GB... sucks. At least now they're on board with 8 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.