Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit
I ordered a Chinese knockoff of the otterbox defender case for my iPhone 4 and received it today. I had a real defender on my last iPhone. Honestly, $12 total vs $50+ is no contest. It's almost the same build and quality. I'm a bit tired of ordering plastic junk at premium prices just because it's for an apple product. Heck, it was probably made at the same factory as the real otterbox.

Did the same for an iPad dock. Works great and I got it in black. I'm sold on knockoffs.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
If only you could realize how knockoffs stifle innovation and cause fewer products from ever being created in the first place. By the way, it's $30 on amazon with free shipping so your $50+ is nonsense.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Yes but with the extra for the authentic OB Defender you get excellent customer service. Of which I used the other day and have new silicone outer en route to my mailbox right now.

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit
If only you could realize how knockoffs stifle innovation and cause fewer products from ever being created in the first place. By the way, it's $30 on amazon with free shipping so your $50+ is nonsense.

Cool. I still saved 20 bucks on something that cost a dollar to produce. Still psyched.

Hype2k2

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, Texas
Yes but with the extra for the authentic OB Defender you get excellent customer service. Of which I used the other day and have new silicone outer en route to my mailbox right now.
Very good service, just got mine as well.

Bets on the OP dropping phone and posting a week later how he should've spent the 20 dollars.

Absolem

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
I got a knock off from the mall before the Official otterbox defender went for sell. Can't say im eager to go and buy a real one. I do not dig the Screen protector piece at all.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I got a knock off from the mall before the Official otterbox defender went for sell. Can't say im eager to go and buy a real one. I do not dig the Screen protector piece at all.

Yeah it's always good to decide on wheter or not you should buy someting by buying a knockoff of what you want.:rolleyes:

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Very good service, just got mine as well.

Bets on the OP dropping phone and posting a week later how he should've spent the 20 dollars.

I'll take that bet. The otterbox is made of plastic wrapped in silicone. Just like mine.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Cool. I still saved 20 bucks on something that cost a dollar to produce. Still psyched.

This is such a foolish statement. If it's so cheap to make, why don't you make your own defender case?

Oh... that's right - you'd need to pay for research & development, quality control, packaging, storage, employee salary, marketing, patents & legal, web hosting, costs associated with being a registered business, etc.

It's attitudes like yours that prevent products from ever being produced. Otterbox wouldn't need to charge as much as they do if it weren't for knockoffs.

You need to take a beginner's class on economics.

Others should report these garbage knockoffs:
http://www.otterbox.com/help-otterbox-fight-counterfeits

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This is such a foolish statement. If it's so cheap to make, why don't you make your own defender case?

Oh... that's right - you'd need to pay for research & development, quality control, packaging, storage, employee salary, marketing, patents & legal, web hosting, costs associated with being a registered business, etc.

It's attitudes like yours that prevent products from ever being produced. Otterbox wouldn't need to charge as much as they do if it weren't for knockoffs.

Bottom line

Average Company = Wants most $$$ for their product
Average Consumer = Wants most product for less $$$

It can as easily be said people that think like you are the reason companies overcharge.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Haha... take a look at these knockoffs on eBay. They look like garbage. They can't polish this turd enough to look halfway decent. I like how stretched and loose fitting that cheap rubber is:

iphone4_defender_knockoff.jpg

Enjoy your garbage.

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit

Others should report these garbage knockoffs:
http://www.otterbox.com/help-otterbox-fight-counterfeits
I don't make iPhone cases because I have no interest in making iPhone cases. I have no idea what you're talking about. And here's some economics for you: consumers want the best product for the best price. Thanks for the economics lesson, Warren Buffet.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
This is awesome. OP, you rock. Your comments/retorts have truly cracked me up. And I'm not even sure you were trying to be funny on all of them :cool:

The rest of you guys - I suppose none of you have EVER purchased ANY store-brand and/or generic groceries or other consumer products, have you?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I don't make iPhone cases because I have no interest in making iPhone cases. I have no idea what you're talking about. And here's some economics for you: consumers want the best product for the best price. Thanks for the economics lesson, Warren Buffet.

Let me use this as an example.
Ebay 10 sync cables for $10 delivered.
Apple 1 sync cable $20.

I will take the knock off any day. $190 is nothing to scough at.
I am just a poor boy.

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Let me use this as an example.
Ebay 10 sync cables for $10 delivered.
Apple 1 sync cable $20.

I will take the knock off any day. $190 is nothing to scough at.
I am just a poor boy.

I buy $5 hdmi cables from eBay and they do the job just fine. I buy a knockoff otterbox and it does just fine. But I do have an Apple branded iPad, real Hummer, and a nice Samsung LCD.

If a product's quality is worth it, I'm all for paying a premium, and I do, but if it's all hype, my money is going to steaks and expensive sneakers instead.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Haha... take a look at these knockoffs on eBay. They look like garbage. They can't polish this turd enough to look halfway decent. I like how stretched and loose fitting that cheap rubber is:

iphone4_defender_knockoff.jpg

Enjoy your garbage.
Looks like the same garbage people pay $50 for... What's your point?

eye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Looks like the same garbage people pay $50 for... What's your point?

He obviously found the worst pic he could. My silicone skin fits perfect and the plastic shell on mine is navy blue, whereas otterbix gives you little choice. Again, I had a true otterbox for my last iPhone and it was great, but there's little difference besides price between that and my new knockoff.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
Ive had one of these before. SO BAD. Ordered it off a website. He promised me that it wasnt fake but it was. He let me return it- paid $16 shipped.

Not going to mention the website because I'm sure he didnt know it himself.

Anyways, I do have a fake Element Vapor Pro. BUT when it comes to something that is suppose to protect my phone, I would want to order the real deal.

I know that the real vapor pro wouldnt protect my phone due to a drop, mainly for looks. The real defender does.

The new design made for the 4S is $36 at Sam's Club.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
While this is not a brand I would buy a knock-off of, (Otterbox has shown great customer service and truly innovative cases), I do have to say all the people who are arguing against it have weak arguments.

Let's not bring a condescending remark like "take an economics class" into the debate. This is a matter of business ethics.

If you think buying $10 knock-offs hurt the economy, you should take an economics class as well.

If every single person on the face of this planet bought knock-offs, then yes, someone's economy will get hurt. But let's not dream too big. That's never going to happen. There are far more people who prefer brand names and genuine products. Regardless of what it might seem on the Internet, knock-off buyers are a minority.

You want to know what really hurts the economy? People who don't buy local whenever possible. This is a situation where a minority can do noticeable damage to a local company.

Stop worrying about who buys what knock-off iPhone case from what country and go buy a locally grown apple, eggs from a local farmer, milk from your neighbor's cow, etc... You can make a big impact by taking such small steps like that.

Buying locally grown produce is a matter of cents or a buck or two extra per lb.

That is economics 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.