Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Is there a way to put custom ringtones for the FaceTime in iPod touch 4? I don't wanna spend $1.29 for a 30 second ringtone, which is a ridiculous price as that's the standard for audio samples. So can I just make a 30 second ringtone on audacity and sync it with iTunes?

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I use .mp3 files for all my music in my iTunes library and to make a ring tone within iTunes is quite easy.

First listen to what ever file you want to use and work out the start and stop times for the section of music you want to use for your ringtone.

Right click on the music file and select "Get info" go to the options tab, fill the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" you want to use then close the "Get Info" window.

Right click on the music file and select "Create AAC Version" iTunes will use your preset start and stop times when converting the file.

Navigate to the folder where the file was created and change its file type from .mpa to .mpr and your ringtone is done. Click on it to open it with iTunes and it will be placed in your ringtone folder.

Don't forget to go back and remove the start and stop times from the original file when you are finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.