Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spip85

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
This helped for me

Hey, I am stationed in Japan and connection through wires with the backup DNS server addresses as 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 8.8.4.4, and 8.8.8.8 worked for me. I haven't talked to my ISP provider yet (they are Global Broadband), but I am going to talk to them tomorrow and I will post up here what they say about the wireless configuration. I assume it's the bluetooth devices that are interfering with my wireless, then again, it could be my cheap router too. I will keep you updated b/c this problem hurt me for about a week until I found this solution worked. Now it's blazin fast. :apple:

La82

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Nothing works

So I have tried both opendns and the above fix but nothing seems to work. I have scanned my mac for virus and dnschanger both turned up nothing. The internet was fine until app a month ago when it started getting really slow, both when opening pages and when downloading or screening. Does anyone have another solution than the one posted here?

ditchlily

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
So this thread seems pretty much dead but it also seems like my best chance of getting my problem resolved.

Just recently I came home to a huge slow down on my mac. All of the other computers in the house are having no problem with the internet. Well, the problem doesn't seem so much to be slow down as it is the internet actually going in and out. I can browse for several minutes without any issues and then for several minutes web pages will not load and I often the eventual redirect to my ISP's "We can't find what you're looking for" page. I am seeing this problem in both firefox and safari.

I tried the solution posted as far as changing the DNS settings, both the open and otherwise and it has nothing has changed or improved.

I am operating on an imac with version 10.4.11 of OSX.
Any ideas?

jahbuzzz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Worked for me briefly but then got slow again. Seems to be very random. Using DLINK Router...

capnjiggins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
noticed yesterday firefox and safari have been very slow loading pages. Tried different DNS settings, scanning for DNSchanger, viruses, etc... No luck :( I am hooked up via ethernet directly from the modem and have never had a problem before. HELP!!!

Mathguy2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Slow connection

Everyone on this forum seems to think their slow connection problem is software or DNS settings or ISP. More likely it's interference. Try isolating and eliminating every electronic device that's anywhere near your computer and/or your router. Older cordless phones, wireless keyboards, transformers, anything. For me it was a transformer to an older hard drive that I wasn't even using!

There's some technical advice in the following article, but try the simple stuff first:

http://www.macworld.com/article/151509/2010/05/speedupwirelessnetwork.html

Good luck! These connection speed problems are infuriating.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Original hint worked

Under Snow Leopard 10.6.5, I experienced very spotty internet connections via wifi with my MacBook Air.

Changed the DNS to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and I'm back in the fast lane. Even in pure speed my downloads shot up from 4 MB/sec to 25 MB/sec. That's in Europe.

Normally I always connect via wired for long sessions but with the MacBook Air, I don't have that option (yet).

Thanks to the original poster.

dukeonuke

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Cable's Can Be The Problem For Slow Internet

Was fighting this slow Internet problem for the last couple of days. Tried the original posters fix. Nothing. Then noticed that my Internet Radio system in my bed room was connecting, cutting out, buffering, and then repeating over and over. Called my ISP provider. They sent a nice guy out that checked the router, then the external cables, and internal cables. It was the external cable. He replaced the cable ends and wa-la, I'm back to full speed. Happy Days. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

The Duke

eliaspage32

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Help!!!!!!!!!

For some reason this isnt working for me.
Someone walk me step by step on how to do it for the newest and most recent version of snow leopard.....
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tetopa

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
hello, i am using macbook pro with snow leopard. i have changed my DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 even then it is very slow. can anyone please tell me what to do :confused:

hungry ghost

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Thank you!

Been pulling my hair out all day trying to work out this one. Veerrrryyyy slow wireless connection on my G5 (running Tiger) the last couple of days - although my iPhone on wifi and iMac (ethernet connection) were both running fine. I was confused.

Seems to be perfectly fine now! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

frannbug

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
South West London, UK
And two years on in Snow Leopard?

Directions and Screenshots for Leopard:

1. Click System Preferences in the Dock

428082Screencapture 1.png

2. Click the Network preference pane

329858Screencapture 3.png

3. Make sure your your network interface is active (Airport for Me), click the "Advanced" button.
72148Screencapture 8.png

4. Click the "DNS" tab, click the "+" button and enter both addresses then click "OK". ignore the greyed out DNS address its probably your router.

892940Screencapture 7.png

5. Then make sure you click "Apply"

OP's DNS addresses

Open DNS addresses

Open DNS will apart from speeding things up and keeing you safe from phishing will try to re-direct you to the right URL if you make a typo. if it cannot re-direct it will give you an Open DNS Google-like search of what you URL typed.

My 233mhz 17" MBP is the only one in the house that can no longer play an uninterrupted YouTube video. It used to be really fast - as was my daughter's slightly younger MBP 15" when she came home from uni. I always have all five bars showing on my menubar airport symbol. Yet it seems to be getting slower and slower the more I use it.

Downstairs, the dear old G4 Mac Mini used to play full-screen video on wi-fi. Then that too got slower and slower, until I gave it another gigabyte of RAM, after which it would read full-screen video again. But now it can't even play an audio file without stopping every fifteen minutes or so to get its breath back. Why is everything getting slower in our house except the 15" MBP? We have a Billion Bi-pac Ethernet modem and a dual band Apple Base-Station, both fairly new, so we shouldn't be getting these problems. My istat widget says I'm averaging around 40kb/s input.

So if there is a way to get this delicious improvement by tweaking a few settings in Snow Leopard, I'd be really pleased to hear it!

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
was wondering why my ppc mini was loading pages so slowly...used my own isp # as said...and big difference ty!

i should have know better...had same issue with slow web page loads on win machine using ubuntu 10.04...till i found more or less same idea...

/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file...and edited line prepend domain-name-servers (put isp number here and seperate by using , and end with ; and also delete # at beginning of line to make active)

frannbug

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
South West London, UK
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file...and edited line prepend domain-name-servers (put isp number here and seperate by using , and end with ; and also delete # at beginning of line to make active)

Forgive my ignorance but I really don't understand this as I don't know what its referring to. What exactly is '/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file'?

Is it a file somewhere on my system (I searched and didn't find it)? Or is it something to be done in Terminal (which I have to be guided by the hand to use as I'm not at all aware of how it works)?

If this might help me please could you enlighten me as a total coding ignoramus? I'd be most grateful, thanks!

kmcmackin33

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Wireless Access Point?

So I have an early 2008 mini which is mind-numbingly slow. I have done all the dns stuff and tried every other suggestion. According to speed test I download at about 2.9 mbps where my HP laptop right next to it is downloading at 15+.

My question is if I got a wireless access point with a ethernet port and plug that into the mini would that speed things up significantly?

I figure an access point would allow me to use N and would save me from running wires.

Any advice is much appreciated thanks!

rang

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Time Warner Road Runner in San Diego just SUCKS

I've tried the Open DNS servers and that didn't help.

Tried the Apple 1tb Time Capsule ...that didn't help

Tried the DLink router...that didn't help.

Tried Time Warner Turbo for 5 months...actually slower than old time Hayes modem. After 5 god damn months and numerous on site techs screwing around with and replacing connectors, going out to the street box, talking to half of India and the US...still f____king slower than dial up.

So we are back on .1 mb/s download speeds on regular wonderful, full of S_ht Time Warner Cable.

I hope the the giant CME (Coronal Mass Ejections) that are supposed to hit the Earth today and tomorrow ...demolish the Time Warner San Diego facilities.
Might get better if they start all over.

Sure as hell can't get worse.

Even the Post Office is starting to look more efficient.:mad:

summoner12

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
wifi channel.

cI was having an issue where it was slow and the info here didn't help. Since my new iMac is.... new. I called Apple and the lady helping me suggested I change the routers wifi channel. This solved my problems instantly. She also showed me how I can see the networks around me and the channels they are on. I picked a channel that wasn't in use and now I am getting full bandwidth on my iMac.

Maybe try changing the channel. :cool:

Last edited:

macfangirl

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Issue resolved for me

cI was having an issue where it was slow and the info here didn't help. Since my new iMac is.... new. I called Apple and the lady helping me suggested I change the routers wifi channel. This solved my problems instantly. She also showed me how I can see the networks around me and the channels they are on. I picked a channel that wasn't in use and now I am getting full bandwidth on my iMac.

Thanks! Changing the channel on my airport fixed the issue for me. Open the airport utility, use manual setup and change the channel. I used a channel between 1 and 4, which supposedly is better.

Lglass

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
NC

Thanks this helped me too. I just got my first mac (iMac) the internet on my laptop running WinXP was working fine but internet on my Imac was very slow. I logged into my router and changed the channel from auto to channel 11 and it's lighting fast now. Hope it stays that way.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
I notice a lot in this thread have a disparity between a PC and a Mac on the same network, for me it's two Macs!

I've got two Macs on the same wireless network at home getting completely different broadband speeds.

Using British Telecom's Infinity up to 40mbs service

iMac (late 2010) gets approx 37mbps, MacBook Pro (late 2006) getting approx 9mbps.

Both Macs are connecting to an Apple Time Capsule and using it's network.
If I connect directly to the British Telecom Homehub the speeds are lower for both but the ratio of difference remains about the same.

I did think it's probably my old machine and it's airport (the MBP can't do 'N' only 'G") so then I tried connecting each Mac by Ethernet and the results are very much the same give or take the odd Mbps increase seen on both machines. So it doesn't seem to be a wifi/Airport issue.

Both Macs are also using the same 'numbers' under the DNS setting in Network prefs.

Both are using latest versions of Safari and Snow Leopard.

Even my iPad is getting over double the speeds of the MBP. (approx 20mbps)

I've checked settings on both Macs and they appear to be the same unless i'm overlooking something (very possible!)

Anyone any ideas at all?

Workinprogress

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
sick of technology

Type 4.2.2.1 into the blank DNS Servers box, hit return and type 4.2.2.2 then click the "Apply Now" button like so;
- Dennin
I am completely lost when it comes to computers. I tried this technique on my mac yesterday, and now my internet won't work at all. I am using my computer at work now. Do you know what I need to do to restore the original settings? Unfortunately I didn't write down what it said before (which was not smart). Also, do you know if I should call the Mac IT department or whether I should call the wireless router company (Belkin) with questions?.. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.