Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
i did a quick search but didnt find it.....

but how do you move files between users on one computer? they both have admin access, but obviously they each have their own home folder, how do i transfer files between the two??

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
PlaceofDis said:
i did a quick search but didnt find it.....

but how do you move files between users on one computer? they both have admin access, but obviously they each have their own home folder, how do i transfer files between the two??
I know i have a crappy answer, but cant you just transfer by drag-n-drop? I thought you could, what are you planning on transferring?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....you could just use each user's "drop box" (public folder)....oh yeah!

whenever i try to access another user's drop box it tells me that i dont have suffiecent access privleges

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
PlaceofDis said:
whenever i try to access another user's drop box it tells me that i dont have suffiecent access privleges
Duff-Man says...are you sure that is the message you are getting? It should tell you that you "can't see the results of this action" or something like that but it does copy the file....oh yeah!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...are you sure that is the message you are getting? It should tell you that you "can't see the results of this action" or something like that but it does copy the file....oh yeah!

yep thats what im getting, im supposed to access it from harddrive>users>name>public>dropbox right?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
PlaceofDis said:
yep thats what im getting, im supposed to access it from harddrive>users>name>public>dropbox right?
Duff-Man says...yes, that is right, the drop box folder. I tried it on my desktop (I have another account on it I use for testing) and it worked just fine - the "can't see results..." message will appear, but when I log in as the other user the file is defintely there. If this does not work for you, perhaps try running a repair permissions in Disk Utility....oh yeah!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...yes, that is right, the drop box folder. I tried it on my desktop (I have another account on it I use for testing) and it worked just fine - the "can't see results..." message will appear, but when I log in as the other user the file is defintely there. If this does not work for you, perhaps try running a repair permissions in Disk Utility....oh yeah!

alright, well at least i know im doing it right, ill see what i can do with it, thanks

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Note that you can't open another user's dropbox - you just open their Public folder, and drag the file onto their dropbox folder.

The other option is to put the file in your own Public folder, and tell the other user he/she can retrieve it from there.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
well after repairing permissions again it works, so maybe who knows, but thanks for the help guys! im just glad its working now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.