Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whiteicedmstech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
I have my new iPOD sitting at home waiting for me and I wanted to check on here and see if and what the correct method was for properly training my battery upon the first charge?

Thank you,
Whiteice

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have my new iPOD sitting at home waiting for me and I wanted to check on here and see if and what the correct method was for properly training my battery upon the first charge?

Thank you,
Whiteice

Just use it out of the box. If you need to charge it, charge it. This is not rocket science nor are we using old battery technology.

When ever I get a new iDevice, that's exactly what I do, I USE IT!!! No battery charging and discharging regimen. I JUST USE IT!!!

Oh one more thing, JUST USE IT!!!

Did I forget to mention to JUST USE IT!!!

Anyways, my point is JUST USE IT!!!

Whiteicedmstech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Just use it out of the box. If you need to charge it, charge it. This is not rocket science nor are we using old battery technology.

When ever I get a new iDevice, that's exactly what I do, I USE IT!!! No battery charging and discharging regimen. I JUST USE IT!!!

Oh one more thing, JUST USE IT!!!

Did I forget to mention to JUST USE IT!!!

Anyways, my point is JUST USE IT!!!

I realize this is not rocket science. Only reason I asked is because I know there are these kind's of issues with cell phones and didn't know if the iPOD Touch had these issues as well.

Thank you,
Whiteice

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I realize this is not rocket science. Only reason I asked is because I know there are these kind's of issues with cell phones and didn't know if the iPOD Touch had these issues as well.

Thank you,
Whiteice

read the manual :) or take random advice off a forum.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Thank you,
Whiteice

With the battery technology today, the issues of battery maintenance is less of an issue. There is no need to condition batteries. As a matter of fact it is bad to drain these batteries all the way down.

Golden Rule, just keep it simple.

Charge and charge often.

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
The battery technology has improved over the last decade. With the introduction of NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries, the old 'memory' issue of batteries are gone. Nowadays, you can charge at any time and it would not cause any issues with the battery.

However, as per instruction, you would do an initial overnight charge of the battery since it would have been fully depleted to 'wake up' all the cells in the batteries. After which, use them as you like. The iPod like most other devices comes with a single sync and charging cable so you may find yourself plugging and unplugging quite a number of times in the early stages when you transfer your media and apps to your ipod. Don't worry too much about it.

With that said, each battery has a limited number of times it can be charged before it cannot fully hold charges. Typically it is about 300 to 500 recharges depending on the battery.

The way I handle my devices is that if there is still charge, ie at least 25% left, I would not do a recharge unless of cos I would be out for a long extended period or I would anticipate heavy usage of the ipod.

Use one of the available Battery apps as they would give you a rough estimate on how much juice is left for whichever activities. It may not be all that accurate but it certainly helps in determining whether to charge or not.

I've got the iPod Touch on Saturday and now into the 3rd time it is charged.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
With that said, each battery has a limited number of times it can be charged before it cannot fully hold charges. Typically it is about 300 to 500 recharges depending on the battery.

You do mean "Discharge Cycles".

You can run down to 25% and charge back up to 100% and that does not count as a Discharge Cycle.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Typically it is about 300 to 500 recharges depending on the battery.

I have been wondering about this same thing, does anyone have an idea of how this comes into play with the car stereo connecters that charge the ipod touch continuously?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

Thank you,
Whiteice

Lithium-based batteries are immune from the effects of the older nickel-based batteries. There is no "training" required and, in fact, none that you can do.

One thing lithium batteries don't like is to be fully discharged. Especially for an extended period of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.