Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cart16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
My mom has ordered an iPad for my grandparents and I am looking for advice on which apps I should sync it with and how to present it to them in a way that isn't intimidating.

As for apps the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I should download are The Weather Channel App, Etrade Pro, a gardening app, and also a recipie app. I bought the camera connection kit so my grandpa can upload his outdoor photos easily onto the ipad and I was wondering if there was an app that could he print his photos from.

They have pretty generic senior citizen interests which include the news, gardening, cooking, outdoors/hunting, and excersise/health. Any app suggestions would be very helpful.

I was thinking as far as teaching them how to use the device I should download and sync the apple tutorials onto the iPad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get them to love their ipad and hopefully throw their netbook in the trash.

Edit: Found out I cant download the tutorials.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You can download the Apple iPad User Guide in iBooks

Your Grandma might like Words with Friends if she knows other users
And Skype if she wants to make long distance calls to family

The Groupon app will get her some deals for her area too

Also she might like the Yahoo Entertainment app or the ABC player app

Check out the restaurant apps too

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
be prepared to spend some time with yr grandparents. help them through the basic apps. don't add too many apps too soon.

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
My father bought my 88 year old grandmother and iPad on day one. She LOVES being able to touch the screen to do what she needs.

Email and photos are wonderful for her. Compared to the webtv that she had before, it is just so much more intuitive for her.

She loves words with friends, and plays it with me, my brother, my dad, and I'm not sure if with any the family members.

My dad also gifted her the $9.99 (forgot the name) crossword ouzzle app.

She is a HUGE sports fiend (go K-State!) and my dad also gifted her the MLB app. I'm sure she now has whatever college football app that meets her needs.

Not sure what else she has, I should ask her.

I agree with a previous poster, go slow, don't download too many, but do download a few key apps that they would love, as that will give them the motivation, energy, and interest to learn the iPad. But, they might just fall in love with it regardless of anything.

I think my dad went over to her house to show her how to use it and get around. He also got her the keyboard dock, and I think she uses it, but I'd have to ask her about that tool.

I think the iPad has been the BEST computer/tech tool ever invented for my grandmother and probably for others her age or with other limitations.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Don't forget to download iBooks, and since Amazon's selection is better, the Kindle app.

For news, you can try NYT Editor's Choice, USA Today for iPad, and ABC News for iPad.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
My mom has ordered an iPad for my grandparents and I am looking for advice on which apps I should sync it with and how to present it to them in a way that isn't intimidating.

As for apps the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I should download are The Weather Channel App, Etrade Pro, a gardening app, and also a recipie app. I bought the camera connection kit so my grandpa can upload his outdoor photos easily onto the ipad and I was wondering if there was an app that could he print his photos from.

They have pretty generic senior citizen interests which include the news, gardening, cooking, outdoors/hunting, and excersise/health. Any app suggestions would be very helpful.

I was thinking as far as teaching them how to use the device I should download and sync the apple tutorials onto the iPad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get them to love their ipad and hopefully throw their netbook in the trash.

Edit: Found out I cant download the tutorials.

Help them set up itunes account. After that, sign up for the training at apple store. Either that, or you can train.

rubbernecker72

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
Dont forget the weather app

If they are anything like my grandparents were (always concerned about the weather), i would definitely have weather bug on there for them.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i got an ipad for mom and she took to it in like a week. i taught her the basics and she learned the rest by herself. that might not compare but it will be great for the elderly.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
The things that are going to mess your grandparents up are the iTunes synch process, and god forbid, it is not uncomplicated to download photos from your iPad to a PC...

I would highly recommend if you are in the same geographical area as them to download iTunes on their computer, and sync their iPad up yourself.

The learning curve is bad enough (my mom and dad are techno-noobs). There is a lot to learn on the iPad, although a lot is intuitive but when you start dealing with WIFI and passwording their WIFI etc it can get really bogging for them.

Advice recapped: you set them up with the iTunes, let them play with their new toy, help them set up their email etc, show them how the App store works and have them buy or go over or find the apps they might be interested in in the store with you.

I have had do do that with my mom. It has only been a month since she has had it and I don't live nearby to help her with the iTunes part, but I will walk her through on the phone.

New toys are intimidating enough without figuring out how to integrate iTunes at first.

Good Luck. Sorry if my post was too long.

WW

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The things that are going to mess your grandparents up are the iTunes synch process, and god forbid, it is not uncomplicated to download photos from your iPad to a PC...

I would highly recommend if you are in the same geographical area as them to download iTunes on their computer, and sync their iPad up yourself.

WW

I would say for grand mom and grand pa just forget about iTunes syncing. Create an account at the store and forget about iTunes.

cliegal

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I would say for grand mom and grand pa just forget about iTunes syncing. Create an account at the store and forget about iTunes.

That's a bit of aegism there isn't it? ;)

This grandma wants play around with iOS 4.2, buy apps, rip her movie collection with subtitles and sync them along with some of a 40 year collection of music. Oh yeah, and when bored and/or tired of reading tech magazines, blogs, forum posts and the Stieg Larsson trilogy, strive to get 3 stars on every Angry Birds level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.