Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hello

The Seti@Home project is very quiet at this time, so I decided to join a new project, the Milkyway@Home. The aim is to create a 3D model of the Milky Way galaxy.

I have created a team for MacRumors members, please join me, as we all start at the same time it will be fun !

Url of the project: http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu
Name of the team: macrumors.com

Note: when possible, try to subscribe to milkyway with the same login as macrumors, so it's easier to know who's who...

Last edited:

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hello

The Seti@Home project is very quiet at this time, so I decided to join a new project, the Milkyway@Home. The aim is to create a 3D model of the Milky Way galaxy.

I have created a team for MacRumors members, please join me, as we all start at the same time it will be fun !

Url of the project: http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu
Name of the team: macrumors.com

Cool, Thanks.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Cool Meldar! Give us a shout when you get your powerful i5, we only have core 2 duos now in the macrumors team so you can catch the 1st rank very quickly ;)

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
oooh something for Boinc to do while seti is boring..... - Joined (raquel) :) - only my main machine tho as the others are either seti, in bits or just too far gone...

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
update: there it is..... doh!

the little i3 is chewing numbers for you. hope it helps (oh yeah the ATi is also helping out from time to time)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Cool I can see you now Costabunny ! A big welcome ! Wow your machine looks amazingly performant ! I think it's because of the ATI card...

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
I just joined but would like to know, as a huge FOSS advocate, what license will the model be released under if they ever complete it? I hope something like the creative commons.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I just joined but would like to know, as a huge FOSS advocate, what license will the model be released under if they ever complete it? I hope something like the creative commons.

That's a very good point. I don't have the exact answer but I remember when I picked up this project this was also because it looked pretty independent, I mean not aimed to bring money to a company...

Meldar

macrumors regular
Hmm...I'd like to see the finished model too, when that happens! It would seem that it'll end up being something like the AMNH Digital Universe on a smaller scale, possibly available for public view given that its completion is dependent on volunteer resources.

i5 MBP crunchin' away...not in first place, though. :p The person who is must have several machines going! Super cool. Again, astronomy + computers = I-could-spend-all-day-at-this.

Meldar

macrumors regular
Hmm I cannot figure out how to get my GPU to do work...I sort of understand how it works, but can't seem to configure it to do so - unless it is, and I just don't see it listed somewhere.

Intel HD Graphics won't do it, I don't think, but what about the GeForce GT 330M in my MBP...? if an i3 can do it, there's gotta be a way for an i5 to.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Just to clarify - my GPU is working through the Windows BOINC client and is a desktop board (don't know if there is a difference for mobile vrs desktop ATI chips).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.