Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0id

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I was wondering 2 things:

1.) do those of you with 3g notice your using it and cant live without it?
2.) do the plans stay until they are used, or is it 30 days, use it or lose it style.

I plan to be very mobile with my ipad...as it can do everything i need it for to replace my laptop. I'm just not sure about needing the internet everyplace I go...

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida

2.) do the plans stay until they are used, or is it 30 days, use it or lose it style.

I plan to be very mobile with my ipad...as it can do everything i need it for to replace my laptop. I'm just not sure about needing the internet everyplace I go...

If you are saying you going to be very mobile with the iPad, you probably should get the 3G.

As for me, I got the wifi because I want to wait for 4G on the iPad since I don't like the speeds of 3G.

My iPhone is sufficient enough with getting data on 3G and just use my iPad for home only.

But once the iPad goes on a 4G network I can see myself taking the iPad with me to places.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

On my case, I actually use the Internet on the go a lot, so I got a iSpot from clearwire (they use the spring network) currently offering unlimited 3G/4G (Correction, iSpot only support 4G) access for only $25 a month.

If you are have a phone that can enable Hotspot (or a Jailbroken iPhone with MyWi) you can use that and save the $130 premium and it works flawlessly

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I got the WiFi version because I thought I could live without the 3G
I took it back on 3G launch day and exchanged it

Honestly, I just like the flexibility of it
I don't ever have to wonder if I will be able to use it or not

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
are you in the US using AT&T? if so, the data is up after 30 days - use it or lose it.

here's what i do. i initially sign up for the 250MB plan. if you are near your limit, you get an email and you can upgrade to the 2GB with no penalty if you wish. also, i automatically cancel my plan as soon as i sign up. that way, your plan doesn't always automatically renew after 30 days. dependind on how often you use 3G, it could be weeks before you actually need to purchase more data.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Get a 3G if you can swing it. It's worth it when you need it most. It'll be the most inconvenient time that you need it and won't have it if you get a straight WiFi or you'll be searching for a WiFi cafe.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
On my case, I actually use the Internet on the go a lot, so I got a iSpot from clearwire (they use the spring network) currently offering unlimited 3g/4G access for only $25 a month.

If you are have a phone that can enable Hotspot (or a Jailbroken iPhone with MyWi) you can use that and save the $130 premium and it works flawlessly

ispot only works on 4G. I thought that was a CNET review that kind of drew it down a notch since 4G isn't in most places.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
the other thing to consider is if you have another connected mobile device like an iphone. if you do, then perhaps 3G is not as important to you. i personally like have the option.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
I have the 3G and I love it. Now granted I do not use 3G and much as WiFi but it is really nice to have it when I need it. So far I have found the 250 MB to be more then enough. I have 11 days for my 30 day coverage and so far have only used 40 MB. Those 40 MB were very important however and without 3G I would not have been able to get my work done when I didn't have any access to WiFi. The best part about the iPad 3G service is that you don't have to use it and you can sign up whenever you want. So yes you may pay an extra $130.00 for a 3G version but I really do think it is worth it for when you need it.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
My perfect combo is my wifi iPad and my iPhone 3GS with MyWi. Im still locked in on the unlimited data plan with AT&T so I can burn it up as much as I like.

I don't think that a jailbreak is a viable solution for most. It's just not an acceptable practice as the hacks are more for the technically advanced. Then the user will have to know something about MyWi and the distribution channel.

The viability is my opinion but I tend to think the question is more of a 3G or WiFi option. I don't jailbreak due to instability. My brother in-law jailbreaks everything. He's always having an issue and he's a tech. And it's always at the worse time. I prefer the stable OS choice.

I'm sure you've never had a problem but there are the disclaimers for a reason. My brother in-law suffers regularly. Haha.

kaplanreject

macrumors member
I don't think that a jailbreak is a viable solution for most. It's just not an acceptable practice as the hacks are more for the technically advanced. Then the user will have to know something about MyWi and the distribution channel.

The viability is my opinion but I tend to think the question is more of a 3G or WiFi option. I don't jailbreak due to instability. My brother in-law jailbreaks everything. He's always having an issue and he's a tech. And it's always at the worse time. I prefer the stable OS choice.

I'm sure you've never had a problem but there are the disclaimers for a reason. My brother in-law suffers regularly. Haha.

You raise a good point.

And I am by no means brilliant when it comes to hacking these things. I know just enough to get myself into trouble. :D

Im with you on the not jailbreaking, in fact the only reason I jailbroke was to get the MyWi app. I have been lucky to have things work just fine.

To answer the OP's question if you plan on being on the go, 3G is a must, no matter which method you access it.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
3G all the way if you're regularly using it on the go. Wifi +MyFi/MyWi if you're only going to be an occasional mobile user.

Everyone's different, but if you plan on using it mobile a lot I'd strongly recommend 3G over the alternative.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Oh I agree, and trust me I want one, but my 3GS is still working perfectly and I just cant bring myself to get rid of it.

But the iPhone 4 is a BIG upgrade from the 3GS.

the retina display on the iPhone 4 makes the 3GS look crummy and blurry.

You don't notice the screen because you haven't own an iPhone 4 but it really is a major difference.

But you should wait for the next generation of the iPhone coming up since you seem patient and happy with the 3GS for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.