Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I've done a few google searches on this matter and most of the posts are a year or two old now and didn't know if their was a better way to accomplish this.

So yeah pretty much my hard drive crapped out on me, so I bought and installed a new one now i'm looking for a way to copy the music on my iPhone on to my new hard drive. I haven't installed iTunes yet for fear that it will try to sync my phone and I will lose everything. I do have some music that I bought on itunes as far as the other 99% I obtained other ways.

So if you guys could help me out with this I would truly appreciate it.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
it's actually way simpler than the other suggestions...you should reinstall itunes, reauthorize the computer and then just transfer your purchases...if you are trying to transfer non itunes music this won't work however

shmeaty

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Bakersfield
google "music rescue" and download that. its free, and it works on any iDevice. itll transfer ANY music on your device u want it to.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
for mac, i use both senuti (paid) and expod (free). can't help with windows.

edit. i think you can get a trial of senuti for the first 1000 files.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll do a bit of research on the programs you guys recommended and will probably attempt this tomorrow.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
SharePod is a good free application, I particularly like that it will organize your music into artists and albums as well as rename the files based on their tag information rather than leaving them with the alphanumeric file names that the iTunes database uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.