Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Oh that's just great, after being told that my dead video chip of my 2007 Santa Rosa MBP was not covered under nvidia warranty because it was not "flagged" right, and I just spent over $500 on a new logic board to get this exact issue solved.

Thank you Apple ... NOT

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Apple Came Thru For Me!!!

I have a 2007 15" 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro. I didn't get the extened warranty. In late 2009 one day the computer came on but the screen remained blank. Went down to my old Mac Mini and looked at the support forums and I heard about the "Nvidia problem".

I called the local Apple Store and they told me to bring it in in 1.5 hours. I took it in and they ran a diagnostic. They told me the motherboard would have to be replaced for $1K...my heart fell. Then they told me that since this part of the "Nvidia problem" it would cost be nothing. I couldn't believe it!!!! My machine was out of warranty but Apple "did the right thing".

Thanx Apple!!!! :D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My October 2008 MacBook Pro has serious kernel panics and crashes when I use the 9600M chip, but never when I use the 9400M. Apparently this doesn't apply to my problem. But I hope they will acknowledge this next, because I payed extra to get a high performance graphics card and I can't use it.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
My October 2008 MacBook Pro has serious kernel panics and crashes when I use the 9600M chip, but never when I use the 9400M. Apparently this doesn't apply to my problem. But I hope they will acknowledge this next, because I payed extra to get a high performance graphics card and I can't use it.

As far as I know, the 9600m does not have any issues. I would take it to an Apple store or contact Apple for more help.

-P

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
did apple ever do anything about the flickering screen issue in 1st gen macbooks? i notice the support thread on the apple site is closed. as an epileptic, a flickering screen is a matter of concern and the one time i took the macbook in i was told it was because i was under florescent lights.

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
+1

Had the problem, out of warranty, fixed for free. Thanks Apple for stepping up. Although, I'm sure NVIDIA paid for it.

Glad to see the replacement program has been extended to 4 years from date of purchase.

surfkw

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2004
$13,000,000 in legal fees
$2,000,000 spread across the class members.

to fix a problem that has already been fixed...

mine failed and was covered by applecare, guess I shouldn't have bothered with applecare as they extended coverage. oh well, my MBP still works great 2.5 years later and I'm still not jealous of any current apple offerings so I can't complain ;)

soon as the applecare runs up this spring I'm gonna pull out the optical drive and stick in a second hard drive, RAID 0 the two and have a ton of onboard storage. hopefully there are some 1TB size laptop drives by then that will fit in my 08 MBP!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The settlement does nothing for the future for the owners of these systems.

There is no provision for replacement if you have not experienced the issues. If the settlement is approved and the next month your system goes bad you are left having to fend for yourselves (for non-Apple equipment) so Apple offering an extra year of coverage for that specific issue is nice. It appears to be better than the way that HP and Dell users are being treated (although I have not researched their extended coverage, if any).

Still, having checked my MBP, it is in the class, and hasn't had any of the issues described, but not knowing how many of the machines are involved, there is no way of knowing what the chances of it happening are. (5%? 10%? 25%?)

Granted at some time in the future the systems involved would be replaced because they are old and potentially not supported by OSX but this settlement could dramatically effect your available options with regards to Apple hardware. If you are in the 'class', and do not exclude yourself from it, and in the future your MBP develops the problem and Apple hasn't extended the coverage or refuses to repair it, you are barred from filing any lawsuits or other remedies to get your system repaired at little or no cost to you.

I would imagine that people holding the suspect MBP's may actually want to exclude themselves from this settlement. If you are in the class, you potentially lose a lot of leverage...

Any lawyers out there that want to toss in an opinion?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
soon as the applecare runs up this spring I'm gonna pull out the optical drive and stick in a second hard drive, RAID 0 the two and have a ton of onboard storage. hopefully there are some 1TB size laptop drives by then that will fit in my 08 MBP!

You can do that? I never thought of it... Wow! Does OSX support software RAID too? I could use my old MBP for a cheesy 'portable' server...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

That's the problem with these class action lawsuits...

I was in one that was about something rather serious as I remember however in time I forgot what it was although I did not forget my part of the settlement from this outrageous atrocity. I got a check for $1.58!!! YEE HAH!!! Not even enough for coffee at Starbucks...

That's why the statement says that you will get the amount of the repair that you paid for , or less depending on the number of respondents in the case. I predict a lot of unhappy HP and Dell owners...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
As far as I know, the 9600m does not have any issues. I would take it to an Apple store or contact Apple for more help.

-P

There's a number of users with a bad batch, including me, and I took mine to the Apple Store but since its out of warranty there's nothing they can do, despite the EU law stating that a computer has to be repaired for free for 3 years. Either way, they would have to take the machine in for inspection for a week, and I can't be without a computer for a week. Simple as that!

See this forum:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/614158/

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Too bad if my GPU fails from the defect a little over 4 years after I bought it (seeing as it appears to be temperature dependent, it could go at any time from now until whenever). It seems to me if it fails due to that defect, they should have to repair it period. Otherwise, what good is it? It amounts to an extended warranty, not defect protection.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Just do it now. It does not affect your Apple Care. Only if you damage another part of the machine, or the part you installed causes a fault, then you wont be covered.

Software RAID 0 on a MacBook Pro, I wouldn't.

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
I've got an nVIDIA gpu in my HP dv8t notebook that suffered from a crashing driver. HP issued a hot fix and I havent had any other issues since. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not so certain mine was entirely an nVIDIA issue? Meh, what do I know?

Here's a link

Of course, I don't know if my particular chip is on the list either. I am glad something's being done on a grand scale though.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008

Not quite. The $2M is only the amount of cash set aside to reimburse persons who actually paid 3d parties for repairs - the other remedies not included in the 2M include replacing the computer or replacing the chips.

Fees in class actions average 20% of the total award, although there is a lot of variation...it would be interesting to know how much the total award is likely to be.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Apple was going to charge me $300 to fix my Macbook Pro. :mad: I ended up parting and selling it piece by piece. It's not like I care for Apple anymore that whole ordeal has me still sour. $2k for a faulty machine doesn't sit right with me. To those who still have these 8600m cards, Apple needs to give you a new mobo with a different card.

Attachments

• macbook pro trash.jpg
    macbook pro trash.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 81

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
There's a number of users with a bad batch, including me, and I took mine to the Apple Store but since its out of warranty there's nothing they can do, despite the EU law stating that a computer has to be repaired for free for 3 years. Either way, they would have to take the machine in for inspection for a week, and I can't be without a computer for a week. Simple as that!

See this forum:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/614158/

When this happened to me I told the manager I couldn't do without a computer and that a week to fix my machine was too long. He sold me a new MBP and refunded the full price for that machine when I showed up to pick up my old fixed machine a week later. Everything was on Apple's penny. It was terrific service. I think when Apple recognizes they are responsible, they will do everything to accommodate you, as best they can. So if you have a legitimate case, though they can't lend you a loaner, they can sell you a new machine and refund it in full later, which ends up being the same, all things considered, as if they loaned me a machine.

unix494

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Nvidia 9400M

man i was happy when i saw this! then i realized it was for the older macbook pro's. my late 2008 macbook pro has been dealing with this "blinky" for months! and i don't have apple care anymore =(

djcyph

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
i have a MBP 15" 2010 only a few months all...and recently i started getting scrambled screen in certain places in safari...is this the same thing? or is it just safari related? should i call? its only happened a few times, but very annoying

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I bought my parents a 15" MacBook Pro in March 2008 which is in the middle of the Apple tech support document date range.

How do I go about stressing the MacBook Pro so that I can see if the graphics card is going to die on them due to this problem?

If I can get the machine to fail, I'd rather do it whilst I'm visiting them so I can take it into the local Apple store and get it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.