Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
If I wanted to browse on my TV, I'd put a TV tuner on my computer.

Why would you want to browse on a TV when you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
what is the appeal of the browsing on a tv? not bashing, just curious. i have a ps3, but have never used it as a web browser.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have apps on my TV that allow browsing to a certain extent but I doubt I will ever use them, why bother when my iMac is in the same room. I like the Netflix and Amazon On Demand apps but I'll pass on the rest.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

The point is not to be able to browse the internet and watch TV on the same machine, but to be able to browse the internet while watching TV. For instance, say you're watching a movie on your AppleTV and you can't figure out who the heck that cute actress is who looks so familiar. You pause the movie, go to the browser, look up the movie on IMdB and bingo! Many times, I've done the same steps, except I had to walk across the room and wake up my wife's PowerBook.

Not everyone has an iPhone/iPod/iPad. (Actually, I have an iPod, but it's an old one.)

I don't consider the lack of a browser a big deal, but I do think it would be a nice addition. I also think there will eventually be one.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
The point is not to be able to browse the internet and watch TV on the same machine, but to be able to browse the internet while watching TV. For instance, say you're watching a movie on your AppleTV and you can't figure out who the heck that cute actress is who looks so familiar. You pause the movie, go to the browser, look up the movie on IMdB and bingo! Many times, I've done the same steps, except I had to walk across the room and wake up my wife's PowerBook.

Not everyone has an iPhone/iPod/iPad. (Actually, I have an iPod, but it's an old one.)

I don't consider the lack of a browser a big deal, but I do think it would be a nice addition. I also think there will eventually be one.

I am in this exact situation ALL the time. My solution? I use my iPhone. I realize not all people have iPhones, but it is definitely their loss. In fact given the choice between using my iPhone during the TV show, or being able to pause my show and look them up on my TV, I would choose using my iPhone every time. It just works. And I don't have to delay the watching of the show for anyone else in the room.

With that said, I can see the benefit to surfing on the TV, as it is a nice big screen. In the past I have wanted to show people flickr slideshows, or a cool clip on youtube, or just some random site that I think my friends will get a kick out of...and without an Apple TV or other capable set top box, I would have to connect my MacBook. Not very convenient. If I had the internet on TV then I wouldn't have to do this. Of course the new Apple TV is going to solve alot of this. Maybe all of it eventually, depending on how robust AirPlay is. Not to mention apps :)

bouldermac

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
After reading the reviews about how painful it is to type in data (without using the Remote App), I wouldn't want to browse on it anyway.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Reading text on a Tv across the room is a less than ideal experience. Sometimes, I just get the feeling that people want features for the sake of having them.

With iOS5, we will no doubt see some sort of browsing experience on the TV, but with only the appropriate content for a big screen being displayed there. You'll browse on your iPad, iPod or iPhone while photos and video are displayed on screen.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
No.

Steve wants us to buy an iPad to get the ultimate browsing experience.

Although I do have an iPad, that is just use for your own eyes. What if I have a big group in my family in the living room and I would like to show them a web page or article that I found.

The reason for the browser on the apple TV is to share the web to a big group with a big screen

Why don't you buy a Google TV then if a browser is your top priority...wait, it's not out.

It's not top priority but it's a nice add on and will have it's uses.

The iPhone/iPod/iPad is not the best at sharing with a big group all at once.

The reason is the same reason why there's Youtube, Netflix, Flickr on the Apple TV. To share and watch it on a bigger screen.

What your saying is the same way as saying why have youtube on the Apple TV when it's on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It's the sharing factor and the bigger screen.

what is the appeal of the browsing on a tv? not bashing, just curious. i have a ps3, but have never used it as a web browser.

Well by yourself, not much of an appeal, but for sharing with family and surfing the web with them, then theres an appeal.

1) Get iPad with iOS 4.2
2) Go to youtube.com
3) start a video, press airplay, send it to your AppleTV
4) ???
5) Profit

Only video? I want full web to be put on the the Apple TV. Maybe later Airplay will allow you to display the browser on the iPad to the Apple TV. Now that would be awesome and ideal in navigation!

I have apps on my TV that allow browsing to a certain extent but I doubt I will ever use them, why bother when my iMac is in the same room. I like the Netflix and Amazon On Demand apps but I'll pass on the rest.

apps will make apple TV go further than there competition. It's the key. But we have to wait on apple to do so soon.

After reading the reviews about how painful it is to type in data (without using the Remote App), I wouldn't want to browse on it anyway.

Maybe bluetooth keyboard. But understandably theres no hardware to support that since I don't think they added bluetooth in the apple TV.

Maybe use the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to type. That will be the only solution and not as tough as using the apple TV remote with an onscreen keyboard.

Or maybe have airplay go even further than just video & music and have it stream the browser on the iPad to the Apple TV and navigate by using the iPad multitouch and onscreen keyboard. That seems to be realistic.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I agree tv web browsers aren't worth it. I don't see people wanting to search by keying their search on their remote controls.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The jailbreak :apple:TV will have one. Patience. : )

ah I don't like the fact of jailbreaking. If it's easy to do, then I might go with it.

I agree tv web browsers aren't worth it. I don't see people wanting to search by keying their search on their remote controls.

You can use the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone or iPad through airplay or apple remote.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Reading text on a Tv across the room is a less than ideal experience. Sometimes, I just get the feeling that people want features for the sake of having them.

You just described the tech community perfectly.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
The iPhone/iPod/iPad is not the best at sharing with a big group all at once.

The reason is the same reason why there's Youtube, Netflix, Flickr on the Apple TV. To share and watch it on a bigger screen.

What your saying is the same way as saying why have youtube on the Apple TV when it's on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It's the sharing factor and the bigger screen.

I spend too much time sitting in a room with others "sharing" their Powerpoint. I can't read the damn thing because it has 500 words on a slide or a graph that looked great at 2560x1920.

YouTube and Netflix is a perfect use of a TV and pictures can be too. Macrumors.com, not so much. At that point you're really looking for a computer and projector/monitor, not an Apple TV.

One exception I think would be HTML5 video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.