Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilford

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
The new ATV has a reported 8gb internal HD and a typical HD rental is 4gb. On my old ATV on a Tuesday morning I would rent a few new films in HD to watch over the coming weeks, but with only 8gb of local storage this is now impossible, so..................

You go to the iMac Apple now insist you keep turned on to stream all your stuff, to set a few downloading as your connection speed isn't great and you need a good 6 hours to download just the one movie, but shock horror..........

YOU CANT RENT THE MOVIE IN HD ON YOUR COMPUTER :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is ridiculous!

If I bought the new ATV I would be limited to renting one film at a time and would have to plan watching that film hours in advance :mad:

Well done Apple, one cancelled order......................

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
What makes you think you can't rent more than one film at once? The rentals don't download to the Apple TV anymore, they stream. The 8GB RAM on the new Apple TV is way more than necessary for that. The Rocku only has 64MB and no hard drive.

But you're also wrong about renting on the computer. You can still rent movies in HD. So now you're 0 for 2. Try again. Way to rag on something without actually trying it or understanding how it works.

gilford

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
What makes you think you can't rent more than one film at once? The rentals don't download to the Apple TV anymore, they stream. The 8GB RAM on the new Apple TV is way more than necessary for that. The Rocku only has 64MB and no hard drive.

But you're also wrong about renting on the computer. You can still rent movies in HD. So now you're 0 for 2. Try again. Way to rag on something without actually trying it or understanding how it works.

You cant rent ALL the movies available in HD from within iTunes, I've looked!

They are available for purchase, bot not rental, it clearly says in very small writing "Available in HD on iPad and ATV" :cool:

Again, you have misread my post and decided to have a dig, my internet connection is SLOW, so streaming a HD film is not possible or would require a HUGE amount of buffer time.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
iTunes streaming for me last night initially went well, but got worse. There may be some launch day issues with Apple's streaming.

In theory you should be able to basically select your title and it will start playing in a couple minutes. If you have a slower connection, it will need to download longer to ensure uninterrupted playback. That's where the storage comes in.

If you want to watch something else, you can jump out and restart the process.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
If you have a really slow connection then it's not feasible to rent multiple movies at once from the Apple TV as there won't be enough buffering space -- he's right about that.

The solution of course is to download them onto your computer and have them there and ready for the 30 days until you decide to watch them. And, of course, HD rentals on the computer have been possible for 18 months now, though they were originally exclusive to the Apple TV.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Again, you have misread my post and decided to have a dig, my internet connection is SLOW, so streaming a HD film is not possible or would require a HUGE amount of buffer time.

Rental Streaming is on-demand. On the computer, you download it and can watch it within the rental period, but streaming it there is no pre-download. Same deal with Netflix and Hulu.

Your options here would seem to be get a faster Internet connection or purchase movies and stream from your Mac.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You cant rent ALL the movies available in HD from within iTunes, I've looked!

They are available for purchase, bot not rental, it clearly says in very small writing "Available in HD on iPad and ATV" :cool:

But that has always been the case where the iPad and ATV had more content available for rent in HD than on computers. And that's the content producer's decision not Apple. Now you're 0 for 3. :D

gilford

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
The solution of course is to download them onto your computer and have them there and ready for the 30 days until you decide to watch them. And, of course, HD rentals on the computer have been possible for 18 months now, though they were originally exclusive to the Apple TV.

You CANNOT rent MOST of the HD rentals from within the iTunes store on your Mac, take a look :(

For arguments sake check out the new Robin Hood, available for rental in HD on the ATV, only available in SD from within iTunes!

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
You CANNOT rent MOST of the HD rentals from within the iTunes store on your Mac, take a look :(

For arguments sake check out the new Robin Hood, available for rental in HD on the ATV, only available in SD from within iTunes!

You're right about Robin Hood and it's a good point. I would hope that the percentage of HD rentals available on the Mac would start to increase from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.