Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I have a few movies in iTunes that are 1080p
I knot the apple tv doesn't output 1080p, but it can still play the 1080p content and output it at 720p ( I think many of us know this now)

That being said, I've been watching one of thos movies, and it did pretty good for about half of it... I could notice the framerate isn't the best.

But now the appletv is restaring and or giving me an error message. And the apple tv is really hot. I think it's over heating an now can't handle the comely at all. Keeps crashing.

So it looks like the a4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So it looks like the A4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.

I think the A4 can do 1080p without a problem. Remember that the iPhone 3Gs can do 1080p Blu-ray rips without a problem.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Well it depends on the quality, this is the highest quality bluray rip I can get into iTunes, the a4 handles my other 1080p content fine, but this one is overheating the apple tv and after an hour is making it restart. And this thing is hot. I've gotten my iPhone pretty hot before but nothing like this.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
But now the appletv is restaring and or giving me an error message. And the apple tv is really hot. I think it's over heating an now can't handle the comely at all. Keeps crashing.

I doubt the two are connected. If it is heating / crashing you got some serious problem which I can't imagine would be caused by a little extra stress on the processor.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I doubt the two are connected. If it is heating / crashing you got some serious problem which I can't imagine would be caused by a little extra stress on the processor.

What makes you think that? All CPU's generate more heat the more load you put on them.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009

Okay, maybe, I'll test some of the 720p content later and if it crashes with any of that then im sure my apple tv has personal issues. Though so far that hasn't been the case. But I'll be testing

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I have a few movies in iTunes that are 1080p
I knot the apple tv doesn't output 1080p, but it can still play the 1080p content and output it at 720p ( I think many of us know this now)

That being said, I've been watching one of thos movies, and it did pretty good for about half of it... I could notice the framerate isn't the best.

So it looks like the a4 can't handle 1080p content for too long. Really to bad, but I guess that's why it's only suppose to be 720p right now.

Yeh get us the media info on the blu ray you are trying to play. Also over wifi or over ethernet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.