Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Looking for feedback on the new 23" Aluminum Cinema Display.

Who has one?
Are you having any problems with backlighting or pink tint?

bit

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
I have a 23" and haven't had any problems with it. I have seen some pink ones in the store, but mine has been fine. Even if you got one and it was pink, just calibrate it and you should be fine.

djturner

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2003
I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's wonderful. All the apple stores in my area had ones with the pink cast so I was a little nervous but it looks amazing.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
No pink on the 23" I've been using for two months now.

Some residual ghosting with high contrast images that don't move, and a 2 inch band of slight discolouration down the left side. I do design and colour matters but for proofing I deal with a broadcast monitor for video or the printery for paper based.

I bought Applecare with my G5 and screen. Figure I'll test for six months and then return it if the problem becomes an obstacle to work.

Bitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Thanks for the feedback

The negative post on the new 23" on the Apple forum have slowed down and seem to be populated by a few who have uneven backlighting with yellow shading on the left.

bit

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
I'll tell you how awesome it is....

I nealry lost a testicle when my wife saw the debit... but once she got to use the monitor a bit.... she was thrilled and acknowledge how much better it is then her 17 inch dell at work and praised me for making such a wise investment....

now if that does not demonstrate the quality of apple.... you should just go buy a dell!

Bitman said:
The negative post on the new 23" on the Apple forum have slowed down and seem to be populated by a few who have uneven backlighting with yellow shading on the left.

bit

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
broken_keyboard said:
My 23" has the pink tint and I have heard a few people say theirs doesn't, but every one I have seen in person (in 3 different stores) has the tint.

Interestingly the new Tiger build has a Colorsync profile that removes the pink tint (clean install).

If your screen is pink, why don't you just calibrate it?

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
iriejedi said:
I nealry lost a testicle when my wife saw the debit... but once she got to use the monitor a bit.... she was thrilled and acknowledge how much better it is then her 17 inch dell at work and praised me for making such a wise investment....

now if that does not demonstrate the quality of apple.... you should just go buy a dell!

If she was upset about the monitor, how does your wife feel about the G5 purchase?

Bitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
10.3.6 improves ColorSync calibrating

From the Apple.com Forums:

"OS X 10.3.6 says the following as one of it's improvements:
Improves ColorSync calibrating for Apple Cinema HD Display (23-inch DVI) displays."

A few reports in those forums say that indeed 10.3.6 did fix the pink tint problem for them.

bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.