Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Does the New Apple TV have Bluetooth? I can't seem to find it on Apple's specs for the new Apple TV. I was wondering if it had bluetooth and maybe in the future use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Does the New Apple TV have Bluetooth? I can't seem to find it on Apple's specs for the new Apple TV. I was wondering if it had bluetooth and maybe in the future use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Yes, the chipsets supports Bluetooth but it isn't certain whether Apple will enable that functionality. Thus, it may never support any such devices.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Mark my words on this. By next year, Apple will have an SDK out that will allow developers to create games for the Apple TV. Then Apple will create a dedicated bluetooth game controller and enable the bluetooth radio. Developers will create full fledged console games in 720p.

Everyone's jaws will drop. Haters will hate. Apple will sell a lot more ATV 2Gs. Their stock will break $300.

You heard it here first. :apple:

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
If they get apps to work with the Apple TV, they are going to need some kind of input besides just the remote. The remote might work if you only click something once but for games or apps where you need to multitouch a remote isn't really going to help. Keyboard and mouse support would be awesome.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
When I say dedicated bluetooth game controller that is exactly what I mean. Similar to an Xbox or PS3 controller. No multitouch or screen. Directional pad, buttons, the whole works. It's entirely possible but currently the software and the SDK revolve around multitouch input. That's why a new SDK with new APIs will be required.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Mark my words on this. By next year, Apple will have an SDK out that will allow developers to create games for the Apple TV. Then Apple will create a dedicated bluetooth game controller and enable the bluetooth radio. Developers will create full fledged console games in 720p.

Everyone's jaws will drop. Haters will hate. Apple will sell a lot more ATV 2Gs. Their stock will break $300.

You heard it here first. :apple:

I really believe everything you said, except the part where they will make a bluetooth game controller. I have a feeling that they will do like they always do and completely ignore the gaming aspect of it all. They will have an app store, but the apps will be designed around the existing remote control and the current interface. There will be apps that branch out, but they will all require an iPhone/iPad/iPod to actually control them. So basically you will see games made, but will use the touchscreen controls, which won't be that great.

I do think that if gaming took off enough with it though that Apple would inevitably cave in and start really pushing for it just like they are with the iPod Touch now that it is doing well as a gaming device.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I really believe everything you said, except the part where they will make a bluetooth game controller. I have a feeling that they will do like they always do and completely ignore the gaming aspect of it all. They will have an app store, but the apps will be designed around the existing remote control and the current interface. There will be apps that branch out, but they will all require an iPhone/iPad/iPod to actually control them. So basically you will see games made, but will use the touchscreen controls, which won't be that great.

I do think that if gaming took off enough with it though that Apple would inevitably cave in and start really pushing for it just like they are with the iPod Touch now that it is doing well as a gaming device.

Predictions...

They will make a gyroscope bluetooth game controller like the playstation move. And they will sell it for less than $49.

The next AppleTV will have 16gb of storage for the same $99 price.
The will enable the USB port for charging external devices...iphone, itouch and controllers...and maybe connecting external harddrives.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Predictions...

The next AppleTV will have 16gb of storage for the same $99 price.

While this may be true - my bet is that will enable a higher level of caching and games will be stored in the cloud or on a local device with the game being loaded into the cache when it is opened.

I think Apple is going the caching route with cloud storage and delivery - it fits the current market for those that produce media.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The iPad and iPhone/touch are remotes.

The remote app on my iPad can display a black screen that is touch sensitive to navigate the AppleTV. Games could do the same if apple allows them.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
The Apple TV would be sweet if we could get keyboard and mouse functionality. Plus apps like email, web browser, etc. It would be like a small thin client that you could take places if you needed to (I know I know, you can do that with an ipod touch).

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The Apple TV would be sweet if we could get keyboard and mouse functionality. Plus apps like email, web browser, etc. It would be like a small thin client that you could take places if you needed to (I know I know, you can do that with an ipod touch).

There is absolutely no chance that they will add email, web browser, or anything similar. It is quite obvious they don't want the Apple TV to replace the Mac Mini.

tech324

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
There is absolutely no chance that they will add email, web browser, or anything similar. It is quite obvious they don't want the Apple TV to replace the Mac Mini.

I am not talking about Apple doing it. I am talking about the developers that can utilize this function after its been jailbroken.

Mind The Mac

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Maybe Airplay will provide the key

If you can wirelessly stream content from iPhone/Pad with the upcoming 4.2, why not a game?

The on-device app has all it needs to run the game, with gyro, multiplayer links etc and Airplay will let you see it all on the big screen.

Perhaps the "play" part in Airplay is a clue !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.