Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Ok, I have seen more then my share of debates on if it is worth it to pay Hulu 10 bucks a month for expanded contect and expanded platforms (iPad and iPhone) and I don't want to get caught up on that. There is something way worse I discovered yesterday that I want everyone to know. Here is what I noticed:

I go to Hulu on my Mac and logged in and had access to my "watch queue" so any shows that I am interesed in watching go into the queue. So when I am on my mac is 52 items in my watch queue.

Now I go to my iPad, log into Hulu with the same account, go to my queue and... ONE item shows up. For example, I can watch this week's Hell' Kitchen (yes, yes, I know) on my mac but I can't on my iPad or Iphone... I had no idea Hulu was doing this but it seems now they have content you can watch via the web on a PC and only a small subset of the content can be watched on a iPad or iPhone.... EVEN IF YOU ARE PAYING!?!?!?!

This makes no since to me, Hulu seems to LOVE being able to control what platform their content can be seen and its got to stop.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Is this a bug with Hulu Plus' queue system? Or is it something they are intentionally doing?

Can you check to see if the remaining 51 items on your Hulu Regular queue are even in Hulu Plus' library?

ft

rikmac

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Florida
I used to like Hulu in the early years but now you might as well pull out the old TV antenna, set it up next to your computer and you will get about the same results...

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Certain shows have restrictions set on them by the rights owners that keep them from being available on portable devices.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
You can use playon.tv and stream from main hulu site. They'll never know you are on a portable device

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
PlayOn requires Windows though. Which I do have but on a netbook which apparently wouldn't meet the required specs.

And yes, I was very excited about Hulu Plus and did use it to catch up on Glee before the new season. But the lack of content is disappointing and I don't know that I'll keep on subscribing...especially since the better shows available tend to already be on Netflix.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
PlayOn is awesome. Besides Hulu and the others, stream your own Movies and Music to the TV and the iPad -- I can get Crackle. And I love me some Crackle.

And I did subscribe to Hulu plus until I just recently cancelled. For me, some shows I was able to watch are not on Netflix but other shows on Netflix aren't on Hulu plus. So it all works out. And I didn't feel like paying for both so went with the better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.