Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drunifex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
That is probably peak but doesn't give u an idea of standby which is more important.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
You gave me an excuse to use my Kill-A-Watt replacement, the Belkin Conserve energy monitor.

Here's my results with some quick tests:

On but doing nothing: 1.7W
Streaming a movie (SD): 2.3W (iTunes)
Streaming a movie (HD): 2.3W (iTunes)
Streaming music: 1.7W (iTunes)
YouTube: 1.9W
Netflix: 1.8-2.1W
Sleep: 0.9W

Very nice overall!

The old Apple TV used to constantly draw around 22W if I remember correctly (I can check if anyone cares), so we're talking about a VAST improvement!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I don't know much about watts and how electricity works, but that seems GREAT in comparison to my 55 LED using 178 watts. (Not that I'd expect it to be anywhere near that of a television set.)

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I don't know much about watts and how electricity works, but that seems GREAT in comparison to my 55 LED using 178 watts. (Not that I'd expect it to be anywhere near that of a television set.)

The Apple TV is phenomenal in this regard (even though LED backlit TV's are the most efficient out there).

In fact, I've seen standby wattage of devices that's higher than the Apple TV's operating wattage.

For comparison a PS3 uses 70-170W to play a Blu Ray (depending on which generation of PS3), while a Samsung Blu Ray player uses 32W for Blu Ray (24W to stream Netflix)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.