Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
This article claims that an iPad refresh for the holiday season seems likely. What do you all think?

Personally, I think would be a great move for Apple if they could release a new ipad before christmas. I'd definitely buy one ;)

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
If you peruse the Buyer's Guide, you'll see that Apple pretty much never updates any of its products in a given year after October. That makes sense. If you want product for the holiday buying season, you need the products on the shelf in quantity no later than early November.

So if we are to see a new iPad this year, it pretty much has to be announced within the next four weeks or so. After that, forget it.

The idea of having all of Apple's products capable of FaceTime makes sense, but that is the only reason I can think of to indicate a refresh very soon. Everything else* points to no new iPad until 2011.

* No manufacturing reports of such a new device yet, plus Apple is selling the current iPad as fast as they can make them so why replace what is selling so well and will continue to sell well until the new year?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Since that there have been articles saying there will be a refresh Q1 of 2011, a refresh Q2 of 2011, that a new 9.7 inch iPad will be released in Q2 of 2011 and after that a 7 inch iPad will be released.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Doubt it very much, when the current iPad just launched on other countries and still more countries to come from here to the holidays, they will get all the money they can get out of the current gen, before updating, even if it ready.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Who gives a crap. My iPad will be used for two more years at least, they could come out with 10 more iPads.

These rumors are always brought up by those between type buyers. You know the ones who decided April was not a good time to buy one so they waited but don't want to wait until 2011 April so they start rumors. It sucks to be you. Well you should have bought one at release.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
FaceTime is really overhyped. I've got it on the iPhone 4: it's fun for a once or twice, but after that it's just a gimmick.

Buy the iPad now, when iPad 2 comes out (most likely in april 2011 - that's like 6 months from now... a long long time) decide whether it's worth the upgrade. FaceTime won't be worth the upgrade. 512 MB of ram won't be worth the upgrade either.

I don't think Apple is going to release a new iPad before the end of this year, since they are still launching the iPad in some countries (new countries are planned for november and even december...) and it's selling like hot cakes.

I advice you to maybe upgrade once every two years. In two years time you might only get $200 or $300 for 16 GB iPad, but than the extra price is worth the upgrade.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Little to no chance there will be an update before Spring

Like others have said, that's a long time
I love my iPad, and I don't know if the new version will have much appeal or not for me

I have an iPhone 4, so the camera, etc. isn't critical for me

My name is Alex

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia

I love my iPad, and I don't know if the new version will have much appeal or not for me

I'm pretty sure Apple will think of something to pull you in.:D:apple:

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Who gives a crap. My iPad will be used for two more years at least, they could come out with 10 more iPads.

These rumors are always brought up by those between type buyers. You know the ones who decided April was not a good time to buy one so they waited but don't want to wait until 2011 April so they start rumors. It sucks to be you. Well you should have bought one at release.

Oh im sorry i didn't know I offended you personally. I don't regret not buying an iPad at all and was just asking what people thought of the article. Stop being a dick.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

I feel the same way. Though if the new iPad has more RAM and a camera, I will be getting it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Do you think it would damage iPad Christmas sales (major gifts to loved ones) when everyone knows the new model will follow 16 weeks later?

hexhead

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
TN
I learned a long time ago that if you don't buy something because the rumored next one is going to be better, you'll never buy one and won't get to enjoy it.

I guarandamntee you, within 48 hours of the next gen iPad being released, all this nonsense will start all over again.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do you think it would damage iPad Christmas sales (major gifts to loved ones) when everyone knows the new model will follow 16 weeks later?

Well, since nobody will know that, I don't think it will hurt sales at all
Apple has always followed this policy and it hasn't been an issue before
Rumors are rumors, and there is always newer technology around the corner

Besides, most consumers do not follow the updates as religiously as rumor sites do

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
The only thing being refreshed on the iPad this holiday season is you'll be able to buy one at Target. I don't see Target stocking iPad1.0 and then in a month or two iPad2.0 is released

So there you have it

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Oh im sorry i didn't know I offended you personally. I don't regret not buying an iPad at all and was just asking what people thought of the article. Stop being a dick.

ROFL. Well said - this posted just stated what he/she read in another article - nothing to pounce upon.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Apple usually doesn't backstab their clients, If they don't have a new iPad till the Holiday season they probably won't till spring, my gut tells me it would be even June because it's a First gen that isn't even out in some countries yet, but maybe that's just me

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Personally I'd like a summer new model launch date.

2 or 3 months after Christmas is almost a slap in the face to those who have just bought them (current/ now old model) as gifts not that many weeks earlier.

2 or 3 months before Christmas would be so close that supply issues would be too tight to probably have enough to ship to consumers for the gift buying season.

Around the middle part of the year would mean, they would avoid either problem really.

Just a thought ;)

Although of course I'd like an even faster and better one tomorrow :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.