Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakeopolis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
hey all,

does anyone know of a way (plugin or otherwise) to view pdf files in the camino browser without having to save them or open preview? i know about the pdfbrowser plugin, but that's for PPC only. ideally, i'm looking for something that will mimic safari pdf functionality... that's like the only reason i still sometimes use safari!

thanks!

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
This is not the best option, but you can command-i click the Camino icon and select it to force it to run under Rosetta. The pdfbrowser plugin will now work.

hey all,

i know about the pdfbrowser plugin, but that's for PPC only.

thanks!

flowin

macrumors member
May 10, 2006
Edinburgh
when i changed the mime settings in the quicktime preferences. the settings were set back once i closed the prefs window.

am i doing something wrong?

zankty

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
I got the following working on my MacBook Pro:

Browser: Camino 2.0b1
PDF Plugin: Firefox Mac PDF

Here is how to make it work:
1. Download the pdf-plugin version 0.9 from code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pdf/ or directly here
2. Rename the downloaded file to "fx-quartz-pdf-0.9.zip" and extract it
3. Copy the file "pdfplugin.plugin" from the extracted folder to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

Done. Now you should be able to view pdf files from within Camino 2.

Note: I also tried versions 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.1, but was unable to get them to work.

agentbob

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2004
From: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070109070912836

As the PDF plugin is currently PowerPC only, it does not work on Intel Macs. The only workaround is to run the browser within Rosetta. For Safari and Firefox, this is not a huge problem as both are able to view inline PDFs (the first with its own engine, and both via Adobe Reader 8). Sadly, this doesn't work with Camino which is quite annoying.

As QuickTime is able view PDFs, I tried to change the MIME type settings in order to let the QuickTime plug-in handle PDF files. Sadly, the necessary setting in the QuickTime Preference Pane doesn't seem to stick, or Camino seems to ignore it.

I finally discovered (through the help of the Camino Mailing List) that Camino also stores this information in the file pluginreg.dat (to be found at ~/Library -> Application Support -> Camino). So if you add an entry which forwards PDFs to the QuickTime plug-in, you're finally able to view PDFs inline again.

The line has to be added to the end of the QuickTime Plug-in section, and looks like this:

nn:application/pdf:pDF image:pdf:$

Where nn is the next free number within this section. In my case, that was 62. You also have to increase the counter at the beginning of the section by one (in my case to 63, as the list starts with 0).

Sadly nothing is without disadvantages: You will only see the first page of the PDF, as the QuickTime controller is not shown, and zooming is not possible. Hopefully Adobe will include Camino support in future releases of Adobe Reader, or the PDF Browser Plug-in will be released as a Universal Binary.

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2010
Worked perfectly on my iMac running Camino 2.0.4! Thanks man!

Ray D

1. Download the pdf-plugin version 0.9 from code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pdf/ or directly here
3. Copy the file "pdfplugin.plugin" from the extracted folder to ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

vajaykrishna

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
This worked for me too..

Thanks.. You can extract it to either ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ or Library/Internet Plug-Ins (no ~, or HOME, here see)..

Note: I also tried versions 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.1, but was unable to get them to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.