Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I just got a iPad 64GB a few days ago and I started to notice a persistent flickering issue. The flicker is very noticeable on a white background.

Anybody else have this problem?

lonman06

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I just got a iPad 64GB a few days ago and I started to notice a persistent flickering issue. The flicker is very noticeable on a white background.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have noticed this as well sometimes.

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
It seems like if I increase the brightness, the flickering goes away.

How do I exchange it? Do I go to the Genius Bar or something? (Sorry, I'm new to Apple Stores...)

dino26

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Glasgow , Scotland

How do I exchange it? Do I go to the Genius Bar or something? (Sorry, I'm new to Apple Stores...)

I think you setup a appointment with the genius bar at your local apple store online. Remember when you are there state how much it annoys you when it flickers i doubt he will argue with you he will probally swap it for another one straight away

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Any subtle changes in your ambient lighting?

Does it go away if you turn off the ambient light sensor?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yes make an appointment before you go. It's easy to do- just google your local Apple Store, and follow the Genius Bar Appointment option.

Make sure that you will be able to replicate the problem for the "Genius". At the least, you should take a video of it happening, just in case you aren't able to make it happen while you are there.....

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010

Start by calling them and describing your problem. Tell them you want to exchange for a new unit. They may not have stock.

Appointment may not be required, just give them a call as they are good people to deal with! They traded out my 3 day old C2D Macbook Pro for the newest i7 and did not even charge me a restocking fee, they even gave me new Apple Care pack to replace the old one. They did it with a smile!

Just call them.

Shaycoholic

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Hilliard, OH
I am ignoring mine

I noticed that mine flickers off and on too but not to the point that it bothers me enough to drive half an hour to the only Apple store in Ohio. Mine only flickers when I type, and rebooting helps get rid of it. Like right now I am typing on my iPad and everything is okay. A couple minutes ago there was some slight flickering and I did not even do anything and it went away. So I guess it's really up to you if you want to exchange it.

I also have one tiny dead pixel on one corner that can barely be seen, I considered having my iPad replaced but I've read stories of how replacement units were sometimes even worse. For me it's just not worth the hassle, like I said, my iPad's flaws could very well be overlooked, and we have that one year warranty anyway, and longer if you purchased Apple Care.

So yea, if it's barely noticeable, I suggest to just deal with it, but if it's really that bothersome, you are very well entitled to get your money's worth :)

M

mianesva

Same here

64G wifi. Flickers, but not all the time. Need to continue monitoring and determine factors such as charging, charged, plugged in or not, amount of charge and ambient light.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
64G wifi. Flickers, but not all the time. Need to continue monitoring and determine factors such as charging, charged, plugged in or not, amount of charge and ambient light.

I don't think this should happen at all, not even a little bit and not under any condition. The unit is defective.

tigerx82

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
64GB Wifi flicker happened then ipad "died"

This actually just happened to me in the past 24 hours on my 64G wifi ipad. I noticed a flicker a day ago and thought it was minor.

The flicker became quite extreme this morning and the ipad eventually blacked out completely and would not restore in itunes. I was able to quickly schedule a genius appointment and got it replaced this afternoon.

If your ipad is flickering at all, i would plan to get it replaced or looked at by apple.

kissnoob

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
My first ipad had flickering issue in low brightness. I exchanged for a new one (due to a different reason) and the new one doesn't this issue.

Just make appointment with genius bar. State your reason in the appointment. When they exchange your ipad, they will swap it with a new one in brown box.

The salesperson @ my apple store said they don't have any ipad anymore and the waiting list is long. On my appointment, the genius pulled out a brand new ipad still in wrap in brown box, no sim, no accessory. Therefore, when they say they run out of ipad, it just means retail box. Don't be discouraged by that information.

sentientstar

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Flickering Normal

Hey all,

Finally got my hands on an iPad here in Singapore as they were sold out real quick :) I was quite worried when I noticed my iPad screen flickering when set at the lowest brightness option. Read a few forums and came to the conclusion that it's a normal effect for LED screens... Here's an excerpt from where else but Wikipedia. Hope it allays your fears too! I'm using the Macally Bookstand Case by the way and I love it! :D

"Flicker due to backlight dimming
LED backlights are often dimmed by applying pulse-width modulation to the supply current, effectively switching the backlight off and on again very quickly. A screen with an LED backlight dimmed this way will therefore flicker. If the frequency of the pulse-width modulation is too low and or the user is very sensitive to flicker, this may cause discomfort and eye-strain, similar to the flicker of CRT displays."

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Mine flickers everytime I restore it/reset settings. It seems the default brightness would cause it to flicker.

As soon as I adjust the brightness up or down, it stopped flickering and wouldn't start again until I restored it.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
My 64gb 3G iPad doesn't flicker, but I do notice from time to time when I turn the screen on - it comes on for a split second and then goes black. When I press the wake button on top, the screen doesn't come on, but I hear the sound like I turned off the screen. I have to then hit the wake button to turn the screen on again. I can't easily reproduce this; however I am up to date with the latest firmware. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

RhiannonUndead

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
California
Wanana jack bandit!

My bf has an ipad and his screen flickers slightly as well, but i have noticed his only does it when the brightness setting is turned all the way down to lowest setting. The auto-brightness feature had no effect either way on the flivkering but if i raised the brightness to just above the lowest level it was fine. Firmware updates also did not produce any changes and his ipad is NOT jailbroken.

chrisrich5

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
64GB Wifi flicker happened then ipad "died"

This actually just happened to me in the past 24 hours on my 64G wifi ipad. I noticed a flicker a day ago and thought it was minor.

The flicker became quite extreme this morning and the ipad eventually blacked out completely and would not restore in itunes. I was able to quickly schedule a genius appointment and got it replaced this afternoon.

If your ipad is flickering at all, i would plan to get it replaced or looked at by apple.
[doublepost=1498849991][/doublepost]Hi ,
I brought an iPad pro last November then 4 weeks later the screen started flickering and then in April the machine packed up completely ,,got a replacement machine and then this also started to do the same thing that the first one did with in a couple of weeks ,so now on to my third machine and if this does the same thing I will be demanding a refund .

There is obviously a design fault with this model .

if you have one of these machines and starts to play up take a video like I did and show them this at the genius bar as ask for a replacement .

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
I think you setup a appointment with the genius bar at your local apple store online. Remember when you are there state how much it annoys you when it flickers i doubt he will argue with you he will probally swap it for another one straight away

-- They will swap it with a refurbished one?
[doublepost=1500093335][/doublepost]I am looking to purchase the 10.5 iPad Pro. Any other issues besides flickering that I should know of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.