Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mbman81

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Hi all,

Just got the new Apple TV from my local retail store, converted some of my movies and got it all set up. One problem that I have is the inability to set the output to 24hz. My tv is optimized for 24hz input. My content is 24fps. But apple tv keeps the output to 60hz. 24 does not divide into 60 nicely. Not sure if the tv does 3:2 pulldown or what but it does introduce a slight jutter. Even my non-techy GF can notice it's not as smooth.

Is there anyway to change or force the output of the apple tv to 24hz? If not, what do you think the possibility of apple adding it via firmware update?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Unfortunately not. The Apple TV only outputs at 720p, and 720p @24Hz isn't a valid HDTV resolution. As a result it will do its own 3:2 pulldown to get to 60Hz and output that, with the slight judder you're talking about.

I'd be surprised if this could be fixed through firmware. Sadly, the Apple TV isn't really aimed at people who care about 24fps playback. Fingers crossed for the next generation, with 1080p support at 24/50/60Hz and the smarts to switch between them as needed.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Unfortunately not. The Apple TV only outputs at 720p, and 720p @24Hz isn't a valid HDTV resolution. As a result it will do its own 3:2 pulldown to get to 60Hz and output that, with the slight judder you're talking about.

I'd be surprised if this could be fixed through firmware. Sadly, the Apple TV isn't really aimed at people who care about 24fps playback. Fingers crossed for the next generation, with 1080p support at 24/50/60Hz and the smarts to switch between them as needed.

That would be nice...but that's what a PS3 with bluray is for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.