Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
God I feel like an idiot, but how do you turn this thing off? Is it meant to stay on all the time, I don't see a power button anywhere, and I'd rather not have to unplug it.

Also when I use my Apple TV remote my Mac starts going crazy, how do I unpair it from my Mac.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
God I feel like an idiot, but how do you turn this thing off? Is it meant to stay on all the time, I don't see a power button anywhere, and I'd rather not have to unplug it.

Also when I use my Apple TV remote my Mac starts going crazy, how do I unpair it from my Mac.

Press and hold the 'play' button while on the main menu page.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
MicroApple said:

There is a sleep now option under settings and also you can hold down the center button on the remote until it shuts off

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

I'm glad you asked.
I was wondering that myself!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
MicroApple said:

I was thinking the same thing. I found the option to turn off IR under system preferences -> security -> under general (last option, at least for SL)

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
anim8or said:
I think there has always been a sleep option hasn't there... its just to cumbersome to navigate to it! :)

Sleep now as in "Sleep Now." Yes that option was always there from start. Also holding down play button doesn't turn off, it' the center button on the directional buttons.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Alright got it everyone, thanks, now anyone know a guide to pair the Remote.app to the TV i cant get it to work...

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
MicroApple said:
Alright got it everyone, thanks, now anyone know a guide to pair the Remote.app to the TV i cant get it to work...

Do you ever read the manual?:D Turn on home sharing for both TV and idevice and make sure on same network. It should do the rest.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Here you go...

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the local network that your Apple TV is also connected to.
On Apple TV, select Settings from the main menu, then select General > Remotes > Remote App.
If your Home Sharing account is not set up on your Apple TV, you will be prompted to enable Home Sharing first. (For more information about setting up Home sharing on your Apple TV, read this article.)
Open the Remote app on your mobile device.
Select your Apple TV from the Remote app settings screen.
Remote app will be paired with Apple TV and you can begin browsing Apple TV using Remote app. You can also browse and play from all iTunes libraries that are listed in the Computers section of your Apple TV from within the Remote app.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1947

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
My Harmony One remote somehow puts it to sleep even though I don't see a sleep command on the button list.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
My Harmony One remote somehow puts it to sleep even though I don't see a sleep command on the button list.

My Harmony One is somehow setting it to 480p when I change to my "Use Apple TV" activity, so I only see a quarter of the display..?? I think it's treating it as an old style Apple TV and sending the wrong command.. What settings did you use for yours? Cheers.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Sleep now as in "Sleep Now." Yes that option was always there from start. Also holding down play button doesn't turn off, it' the center button on the directional buttons.

Depends on which remote you are using... I have the white remote, not the aluminium remote....

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
Frosticus said:
My Harmony One is somehow setting it to 480p when I change to my "Use Apple TV" activity, so I only see a quarter of the display..?? I think it's treating it as an old style Apple TV and sending the wrong command.. What settings did you use for yours? Cheers.

I let the Logitech website handle the remote settings. I did not see any video output settings on the ATV2 menu. My Onkyo is getting a 720P signal. Your 480P may be a result of a setting on your receiver or display.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I let the Logitech website handle the remote settings. I did not see any video output settings on the ATV2 menu. My Onkyo is getting a 720P signal. Your 480P may be a result of a setting on your receiver or display.

Fixed it.. re-added the device and it seems to be ok now. Incidentally it was the Logitech website that caused the problem.. Was sending a "start FrontRow" command before, despite having selected Apple TV.. not sure if that was screwing it up. Strange.

Anyways - all working perfectly now though :)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah leave it on...the new Apple TV only pulls 6 watts of power right?

leave it on!

6 Watts is the max it can ever pull because that is the rating of the power supply. It has been tested that while playing Netflix videos it uses less than 2 watts. When they put it to sleep, it used so little power they couldn't even register a reading with a Kill A Watt meter.

To put this in perspective, cable/satellite DVRs use approximately 30 watts when "sleeping".

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
6 Watts is the max it can ever pull because that is the rating of the power supply. It has been tested that while playing Netflix videos it uses less than 2 watts. When they put it to sleep, it used so little power they couldn't even register a reading with a Kill A Watt meter.

To put this is perspective, cable/satellite DVRs use approximately 30 watts when "sleeping".

That's quite incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.