Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I have recently been taking more videos than photos with my iPhone 4 but noticed the sound is barely audible. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I need to set?

I have no issues with talking on speaker sphone, play music, or watching shows through the speaker but when it comes to quality from recording a video I can barely hear it when playing it back.

Is this a known issue or has it happened to anyone else? Is it possible that there is something wrong with my iPhone 4? I did a search on the forum but didn't come up with anything.

Any idea?

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
The thought did cross my mind but I confirmed I wasn't by doing other tests and I still get the same results.

I also found a video when I first purchased the iPhone 4 and it sounds great and there are no issues. Is the mic for recording the same as when I record voice memos? I have no issues with sound quality when recording and playing back voice memos.

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The thought did cross my mind but I confirmed I wasn't by doing other tests and I still get the same results.

I also found a video when I first purchased the iPhone 4 and it sounds great and there are no issues. Is the mic for recording the same as when I record voice memos? I have no issues with sound quality when recording and playing back voice memos.

There should of been no video when u first buy the iphone4 unless u made a video with another iphone that you have had.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
this might be a little off topic, but hows the sound quality on the voice memos? i assume it would be the same as the audio from the videos.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I actually meant to say I did a quick video when I first bought the iPhone 4. It didn't come with one.

There were no quality sound issues with the voice memos but just with the videos I was taking.

I took my wifes iphone 4 and did a comparison as a test and confirmed her sound quality was a lot better than mine. I did another test by covering each mic so I can narrow it down. I found the sound quality didn't change on my wifes when I had the bottom covered but it did change when the mic on the top was covered. I went back to my phone and blew in the top mic and banged gently to see if there was anything maybe blocking it. I took another video quality and found that its now working! I guess something got in it or was blocking it and I didn't notice it. I'm Happy again!

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
Your iphone must be defective. The video/audio quality on the ip4 is superb. I personally think the audio quality is even better than the video. It takes ALOT of noise for it to distort.

edit: didnt read your last post.

Menzo

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Sound quality and noise cancellation mic seems to be rather amazing for the iPhone 4. I was at a club the other night with the doof doof making it near impossible to hear people next to you. Used the phone to record a video and played it back later that night when I got home. You could actually hear the music and it even picked up a comment from a friend sitting a few feet away.

Took more videos and a few I kind of blocked the mic with my thumb :( But otherwise when it was clear, sound was great.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
vid record sound quality now BAD

mine was good a month ago.... now it seems to be awful.

I recorded 3 vids this week and on playback, all I'm getting is background noise, and even recording people 4 feet from the phone, it's muffled and far away. I hold the phone on the long sides away from the mics.

a month ago, I recorded a political rally and it was perfectly clear, even in a crowd of 1000's. I don't know what has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.