Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arenuister

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
mine works

you know how it got waterlogged, mine happened like that a couple of minutes ago, but i dropped it in the toilet and the screen and touch worked for a while so I immediately put it in a bowl of rice. :mad: i put it in a car outside of our house and I hope it works. Man, I am so clumsy with technology:rolleyes::eek:

Tarrah01

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
It worked for me!!

I took my son's brand new-2 week old Itouch away from him as punishment and put it in my jean's pocket. Later that night, I threw the jeans in the washer and didn't even think of it until the cycle was done. I was just sick. So I googled everything and tried the trick of putting the ITouch in a plastic baggie with instant rice. I left it alone for 2 weeks and did not try turning it on until today--lo and behold it is working perfectly!!!! When I tried to turn it on, I pushed the button about 3 times and the apple symbol came up. So I plugged it into the computer and although it needed a charge, all the info was there. I am thrilled, but had already replaced it figuring it was a goner!! So, message is--- don't give up. It worked for me.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
I took my son's brand new-2 week old Itouch away from him as punishment and put it in my jean's pocket. Later that night, I threw the jeans in the washer and didn't even think of it until the cycle was done. I was just sick. So I googled everything and tried the trick of putting the ITouch in a plastic baggie with instant rice. I left it alone for 2 weeks and did not try turning it on until today--lo and behold it is working perfectly!!!! When I tried to turn it on, I pushed the button about 3 times and the apple symbol came up. So I plugged it into the computer and although it needed a charge, all the info was there. I am thrilled, but had already replaced it figuring it was a goner!! So, message is--- don't give up. It worked for me.

Hahaha, I'm proud of you!

Good job on getting it working again! :)

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
neogeo8 said:
After 6 days of being submerged in rice and silica gel packets, I nervously plugged in my ipod.

So I just did a reboot and now it is working perfectly, and has been for about 3 days so far with no problems.

That was unexpected, but I'm glad that you got it working again.

desa»one

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
me tooo!

mi ipod touch also went through the washer and all it does now is turn on and shows the apple logo and then just turns off.please help!

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
mi ipod touch also went through the washer and all it does now is turn on and shows the apple logo and then just turns off.please help!

Did you not read the 2 pages of comments before you posted?

Stop pressing buttons, stick it in a bag/box of rice and leave it for at least a week.

JoshJosh117

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Anyway here is an update on my ipod that went through the wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 6 days of being submerged in rice and silica gel packets, I nervously plugged in my ipod. After charging, it worked, but it was acting strange.( Randomly would give me the slide to turn of thing, and the home and sleep button weren't working right) So I just did a reboot and now it is working perfectly, and has been for about 3 days so far with no problems.

I have living proof that an ipod can be successfully saved from a full washing machine cycle!!! :)

Well that's just great. I had the same problem, but I ended up getting a new one for a discount... to think I could have saved it...

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
The best way to fix that is to put it in the dryer and put it on hi heat for the same amount of time it was in the washer.

nathliea

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Does it have to be instant rice??

I ran my 32g ipod touch through the washer last night. I've already destroyed 2 phones in a similar manner (water damage), but in both of those instances, I turned them back on immediately. I'm not terribly good with electronics, clearly.

What about regular rice? Would regular rice work? Right now I've got it in a bag of Nishiki (sushi rice -- that's all I had on hand), but this just happened last night and I can get some minute-rice if need be.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
OP, the bad news is it's no longer under warranty, due to the infernal moisture sensor, but glad u got it working for now!

quackerjack

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Does it have to be instant rice??

I ran my 32g ipod touch through the washer last night. I've already destroyed 2 phones in a similar manner (water damage), but in both of those instances, I turned them back on immediately. I'm not terribly good with electronics, clearly.

What about regular rice? Would regular rice work? Right now I've got it in a bag of Nishiki (sushi rice -- that's all I had on hand), but this just happened last night and I can get some minute-rice if need be.

the rice simply acts as an absorber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccant . a couple of tablespoons of rice and a ziploc freezer bag will help.

as stated previously, the most important thing is to not try to turn on the device for at least 48-72 hours. with the design of the ipod touch and iphone being as sealed as they are, the longer the better. just let the water drain out without too much shaking, let it air dry for a bit, then bag it with the rice.

/the kind really doesn't matter, but some will be more dusty/dirty than others.
good luck.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
My daughter's iPT3 got soaked in her backpack during a downpour. After drying it worked...for two months...then developed progressive rebootosis. Postmortem by iResQ showed extensive corrosion of system board and display (not worth repairing).

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I have living proof that an ipod can be successfully saved from a full washing machine cycle!!! :)

Good news for you but rest assured the life span of that iPod has been greatly reduced. It will certainly not last as long as it should. It could keel over any time going forward. As a precaution, I'd be keeping it in a dry place (rice container, dehumidifier, etc) for much longer when not in use.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Glad it worked for you! 18 months ago our entire family got new cell phones; my wife and I got the same LG EnV phones while the kids got more basic ones. We opted NOT to get any replacement insurance, thinking we'd all be careful with the new phones. Since then, my wife spilled tea all over her phone and I ran mine through the washer. Her's was replaced by Verizon, however mine was too damaged for even the bag-o-rice trick to work. Funny thing is the kids have taken good care of their phones and have had no problems- my son likes pointing out that it's been the adults who've been careless.

idizzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Three days ago I washed my ipod in the washer. Put it in rice and let it sit, hooked it up to the computer, now all I get is the picture of the usb and itunes, and itunes says the ipod is in recovery mode do I want to restore it, but it won't restore, just keeps giving me the pop up to restore it....

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Three days ago I washed my ipod in the washer. Put it in rice and let it sit, hooked it up to the computer, now all I get is the picture of the usb and itunes, and itunes says the ipod is in recovery mode do I want to restore it, but it won't restore, just keeps giving me the pop up to restore it....
Try drying it another 5 days. Turn it off if you can. Be sure to use instant rice like Minute Rice. The fact that it turns on and actually displays something is a good sign.

Helo2050

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
I'm not trying to troll or anything but this happened to my Blackberry also. Went through the washer AND dryer. It still worked surprising! I'm sure the iPod Touch is way more "sensitive" than the clunky blackberry but I just wanted to say this because there IS actually a slim chance it could work, like with me. The phone lasted until I got tired of using it! Put the iPod some where that you know it can air out. I put my phone on the radiator for a few hours.

Volking

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Genius Bar ...WHAT!!!!

Ipod touch washed this morning, IPOD touch put in bag of rice, Ipod touch taken to Genius bar, Genius laughed at the rice, issued a brand new ipod touch at no cost. AMAZING!!!

Someone tell someone about how cool Apple is.

Ipods are just things, not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things
if they wouldnt have.

HxCPunisher

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Ipod Wash Bowl of Rice 1 Week Worked

Just wanted to post an update. My girlfriend washed her Ipod Touch 4 Gen and we tried the rice trick for a week. We plugged her Ipod in the usb charger on her computer and everything worked perfectly. No lost files, no issues with screen. Not saying this will work for everyone, but it did for us!

Kedwards41

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Mine did too! I put it on the radiator for a week, touch screen touching the radiator, t still works today! Writing this comment on it now! Like brand new but microphone a bit fuzzy, all is good though

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Ipod touch washed this morning, IPOD touch put in bag of rice, Ipod touch taken to Genius bar, Genius laughed at the rice, issued a brand new ipod touch at no cost. AMAZING!!!

Someone tell someone about how cool Apple is.

Ipods are just things, not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things
if they wouldnt have.

Did you have applecare? Why would they give you a free iPod touch for accidental damage. But that is quite cool that they did that for u.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.