Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Hello. I neeed urgent help. I just attemped to jailbreak my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.1 using snowbreeze. And now my sim card is not being supported. Please help. On Tinyumbrella, I've been able to check my BB and it is still 04.26.08. Is there any solution?

PaHtSaN

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
Hello. I neeed urgent help. I just attemped to jailbreak my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.1 using snowbreeze. And now my sim card is not being supported. Please help. On Tinyumbrella, I've been able to check my BB and it is still 04.26.08. Is there any solution?

What do you mean jailbreak from 3.1.3 to 4.1? That makes no sense, do you mean upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.1?

PaHtSaN

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure you meant you upgraded your jailbroken phone, yes, the solution is to now downgrade your phone back to 3.1.3 since you probably have those shsh files. Go on YouTube and type in "how to downgrade 4.1 to 3.1.3", you should find a few good tutorials on how to do it.

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure you meant you upgraded your jailbroken phone, yes, the solution is to now downgrade your phone back to 3.1.3 since you probably have those shsh files. Go on YouTube and type in "how to downgrade 4.1 to 3.1.3", you should find a few good tutorials on how to do it.

Kay, so in detail this is what happened. I have a 3GS, on 3.1.3 and BB 04.26.08 so then yesterday, I downloaded snowbreeze, and I created the custom ipsw. Then, I restored using the new ipsw made. After, when it was done, it said my sim isn't supported. And BTW, I don't even know what shsh files are. =[

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Right now, phone is locked to original carrier. You need to install ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock the phone.

If you are stuck at emergency screen, borrow or eBay for original carrier sim to activate the phone. Even a non active sim will work. Afterward, install ultrasnow to use your sim card.

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Right now, phone is locked to original carrier. You need to install ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock the phone.

If you are stuck at emergency screen, borrow or eBay for original carrier sim to activate the phone. Even a non active sim will work. Afterward, install ultrasnow to use your sim card.

But I'm not sure what carrier it was on, is there a way to check? I'd say it's probably a USA carrier. Since I did get it in a store over there, but I'm in canada now.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
But I'm not sure what carrier it was on, is there a way to check? I'd say it's probably a USA carrier. Since I did get it in a store over there, but I'm in canada now.

If USA, it's only ATT. Get one. eBay is probably easiest route.

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
If USA, it's only ATT. Get one. eBay is probably easiest route.

Just before that, I just wanted to know if there's another way? I don't want to spend money. It's best if theres another way, because I want to have some experience.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Just before that, I just wanted to know if there's another way? I don't want to spend money. It's best if theres another way, because I want to have some experience.

Borrow someone's ATT sim card.

It cost $1 to buy ATT sim card on eBay.

PaHtSaN

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010

If the phone isn't activated then you need an AT&T sim card to activate it like he said, however there's something called hacktivating where you can activate without the sim. I've never tried it since i have a sim, but supposedly people outside the US do it all the time, so either YouTube a tutorial on how to do it, or try this guys link http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100827011810AAK6Heu

It would be a good idea to get an AT&T sim card though because it makes things alot easier, you can check your local craigslist or even post your own ad for one, it won't cost you a significant amount of money.

Shsh files are apples signiture for older firmwares that will basically allow you to downgrade your OS. Question for you, when your phone was jailbroken, do you remember selecting an option in cydia called "make my life easier"?

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
If the phone isn't activated then you need an AT&T sim card to activate it like he said, however there's something called hacktivating where you can activate without the sim. I've never tried it since i have a sim, but supposedly people outside the US do it all the time, so either YouTube a tutorial on how to do it, or try this guys link http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100827011810AAK6Heu

It would be a good idea to get an AT&T sim card though because it makes things alot easier, you can check your local craigslist or even post your own ad for one, it won't cost you a significant amount of money.

Shsh files are apples signiture for older firmwares that will basically allow you to downgrade your OS. Question for you, when your phone was jailbroken, do you remember selecting an option in cydia called "make my life easier"?

I think it seems familiar, is there any other way to check is I did so? And BTW, I already ordered just simcard a few mins ago, but I just wanna try a different way so i can have experience.

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
You won't be able to hactivate it right now. Maybe when future jb tools are released. I wouldn't bother so you don't mess up and regret it later.
Yea, I guess so. I guess I'll just hafta wait few weeks for my sim to arrive =[

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010

Ok. So I just got my SIM card in the mail and i got the phone to work. Now how do I unlock it to that my Rogers SIM card will work?

aznwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
So you restored to custom 4.1 IPSW while preserving your unlockable baseband?
Do you see cydia on your springboard?
Open up cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock it.

OMG. THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH.
I have sucessfully unlocked my iPhone.Also, I'm never going to update the firmware ever again. LOL

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
OMG. THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH.
I have sucessfully unlocked my iPhone.Also, I'm never going to update the firmware ever again. LOL

i wouldnt say that, you can upgrade anytime...just make sure you know what you are doing with it. Make sure you do your research as to the steps you need to take. Upgrading to a new firmware will render your ultraSNOW useless. So remember, plan out what you going to do. Have all the steps ready to go. Make sure you have the right tools for the right job, like the JB software, Tiny Umbrella etc etc. Make sure next time, you firmware youre upgrading too is able to be unlock before you do it. Just remember these few things and it will make your upgrade less painful =)

Glad you got it working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.