Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrunkG0D

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
BongoUS? My Experiences, Good and the Ugly...

Just a short introduction first of all, I am a business owner. My company is based in Asia and I have many suppliers around the world. Most of which, located in the United States. I first encountered BongoUS about 2 years ago and back then made the decision to go with BongoUS as it seemed to me, at the time, like they were the best all rounders in their field and industry. Slightly higher price point, but makes up for it in speed and customer service. Something which I required should any of my clients have serious time constraints and needed urgent deliveries.

Everything was fine and dandy for most of the 2 years with, of course, several hiccups. These were easily resolved at the time and did not cause much problems for me. Recently however, things have taken a turn for the worse.

The whole situation unfolded as follows. About 3-4 weeks ago, we placed an order from a store in the USA for several items (I shall name this Store A). These items were scheduled to be shipped into BongoUS under my name to be later forwarded back into Asia. However as it turns out, a day before the items left Store A for BongoUS, our client changed his mind about the order and wanted something else. Thus we promptly cancelled our order from Store A and ordered the new request from Store B. However Store A made an error and sent the package out to BongoUS anyway even after a refund was issued to us. This was fine as we assumed the Store A would call FedEx and have the items redirected back to the Store as was done before on past cancellations.

The problem started escalating when, Store A, didn't recall the items with FedEx but rather allowed the package to arrive at BongoUS. Both packages from Store A and Store B arrived, I assume, on the same day at BongoUS. However by this time Store A had already called BongoUS and requested for the items to be returned to the store. This is where my first gripe at how BongoUS handled the whole situation begins.

1) BongoUS did not bother to inform me that they were contacted by Store A requesting for the items to be returned, and had already made plans to have the items returned (they did not inform me of this either). Instead they had the items listed in my inventory. (I found out much later that the items listed in my inventory had already been returned)

When I instructed BongoUS to ship the items from Store B out to me later that day, my Inventory showed that 1 item was missing from the list of items originating from Store B. On questioning of BongoUS, they decided to take their own sweet time to figure out what happened to the item. A total of 5 days passed before I found out what happened to all my items. During these 5 days, I made daily calls to their US head office from Asia, this costs me alot of money, daily emails and even the use of their live chat. Spoke to multiple "customer service" staff, with little to no result. All I got were empty promises.

2) Staff WP tells me that items are missing and that they are trying to find it. I tell WP to tell me exactly what item is missing and he cannot tell me because he doesn't know exactly what he's looking at. He knows generally what the item is but I can't get specific details as they're not proficient enough to identify exactly. To solve this problem I ask WP to send me pictures of all the items (I'm talking about like 4 items so thats 4 pictures). This is so that I can identify exactly what is missing. He says yes yes yes he'll do it. After a day passes, 2 days, weekend, still nothing. -> Empty Promises

3) On a fresh Monday I call again and look for WP, however WP is busy so I speak to a different staff named GG. On talking to GG and explaining the situation AGAIN. I get told that management has labeled the item as lost/missing. As such I was give a choice. Either accept a refund or the management will purchase the same item as replacement. Seeing as I needed the item urgently, I accepted the refund. However before they actually issued the refund I went ahead and reordered a replacement and had the item express shipped to BongoUS. I seriously needed the items urgently so had to do it this way as I did not know how long BongoUS would take to repurchase a new set. I also managed to finally, FINALLY, get 1 miserable picture of 2 items, which I then got them to proceed to ship out. This was supposed to be the shipment from below point 1 above. Yes they held my shipment this whole time and already took payment. On my end I expected the items to arrive on Friday and it is already past the weekend the items haven't even left their warehouse yet.

Constant reminders that the items were required urgently over and over again over the phone and emails and live chats fell on deaf ears.

4) The next day, I get an email saying that they found out the item was really missing but was returned to the wrong store, so now BongoUS will not be refunding the item as it is no longer missing. They also decided to hold my shipment for several more days while the item is returned BACK to BongoUS so that the items can be shipped out together. -> Not sticking to their words. This comes after I have already made my urgent reorder of the missing item and assumed that the refund was on the way.

After another angry call, I managed to get them to ship the package with whatever is available in my inventory out that same day.

Also rather than arguing with them some more I decided to handle the refund myself and get them to return the item back to Store B where I reordered the supposed missing item. So does this mean problem resolved? Think again...

5) 2 days later the reordered item arrived at BongoUS, unfortunately so did the item that was mistakenly sent to the wrong store. Doesn't matter though I expected something like this to happen so I just issued a request for 1 out of the 2 items to be sent to Asia and the other one I left untouched in my inventory.

6) Next day, my item left the US and was on its way to Asia. However the remaining item disappeared from my inventory. Sent BongoUS an email asking where it was, they promptly said that they would be returning it to Store B on my behalf. -> I found this just plain rude. After so many problems and issues you'd think they'd learn their lesson and at least ask first right? Nope they decided to just do it anyway.

So in an effort to halt the return before more problems occurred, I had to call them again. Quarrel with the customer service staff GG to have the item relisted in my inventory. GG being quite rude over the phone threatening to hang up etc etc. Granted I raised my voice abit but after holding it in and controlling myself for over 3 weeks, you seriously can't blame me for raising my voice. And she had the cheek to tell me to not raise my voice. She keeps trying to explain the same thing over and over again when I'm talking about a whole other issue. Worst part of all, she tells me I'm wrong about the whole sitiuation. Like WHAT!? If I was so wrong about the situation, I wouldn't have to keep calling to explain. A simple email would have sufficed. But since that didn't fix it... Well you decide for yourselves.

I was getting so mad at that point I wanted to speak to the manager in charge. Hopefully I can finally talk to someone who can set the whole thing right and recover my faith in this company. But nope. From the horses mouth: Manager not around, no manager today and finally last but not least the icing on the cake... "Sir, it doesn't matter if you talk to the manager, she won't be able to fix anything for you today..." FAIL! EPIC FAIL!

To sum it all up. I have since given up my account in this company and am trying out several others. Hopefully you all will make the right choice in deciding which company to go for and that you can learn from my experience.

Cheers!

PS. During my experience with BongoUS multiple attempts to speak with a manager or someone with higher authority came up zero. If you decide to file a written complaint because talking to their CS Staff doesn't work, don't bother because all you will be asked to do is write a message to your account support log or send them an email to the support email address. This will be replied by a CS staff and it takes a full day for a reply. So don't bother.

**A warning to BongoUS, when you start assuming that your customers are all frauds and decide to protect the vendors so much more than your customers, even those that have been loyal to you for so many years, you are just shooting yourselves in the foot. This is not the way to run a business. Let the vendors worry about their own customers defrauding them. You should worry about how to do your job, and getting it right.**

stephstuff

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
i would recommend myaddressus.com

I would recommend http://www.myaddressus.com. Reasonable rates and subscription rate. Great people. You can get someone on the phone, etc. The site has a calculator to figure out your rates. You have to pay duties/taxes for your country.

cmc1067

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Scam

MyUS.com as well as Bongous are major scams. Think about it...they have an account for ONLY $5.00 however once your goods arrive they weigh and measure the PACKAGE it arrives in and charge you according to actual or dimensional weight whichever is greater which of coarse will always be the dimensional weight as most items purchased by international customers are big bulky items...#2 BongoUS uses DHL Express shipping for all international shipping...PEOPLE DHL has the highest international shipping rates ever to be charged by any Courier...They will never offer you FedEx UPS or Postal rates as they would otherwise not profit as handsomely as they have in the past 3 years. They will sell you a crock of Cow manure and once your goods are in your inventory they will threaten to keep them or dispose of them if you do not ship in 45 days. They also dispose of their goods by selling them to customers whom order goods over the personal shopper service they offer. My advice would be to get it refub from Apple and save yourself the HASSLE dealing with BongoUS.:mad::apple:

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Actually myus.com DO offer DHL, FedEx and USPS. It just happens that DHL Express is much cheaper for int'l shipping than FedEx in many cases, and, in Germany, they have much better customs processing procedures in place. I've used them ~ 30 times in the past. While they're not perfect, they're not bad.

MyUS.com as well as Bongous are major scams. Think about it...they have an account for ONLY $5.00 however once your goods arrive they weigh and measure the PACKAGE it arrives in and charge you according to actual or dimensional weight whichever is greater which of coarse will always be the dimensional weight as most items purchased by international customers are big bulky items...#2 BongoUS uses DHL Express shipping for all international shipping...PEOPLE DHL has the highest international shipping rates ever to be charged by any Courier...They will never offer you FedEx UPS or Postal rates as they would otherwise not profit as handsomely as they have in the past 3 years. They will sell you a crock of Cow manure and once your goods are in your inventory they will threaten to keep them or dispose of them if you do not ship in 45 days. They also dispose of their goods by selling them to customers whom order goods over the personal shopper service they offer. My advice would be to get it refub from Apple and save yourself the HASSLE dealing with BongoUS.:mad::apple:

whythetorment

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Ok I need advice.

I'm starting a business here in South Africa, and I'm going to import wedding favours, gifts, guestbooks etc.

So I've looked at the following forwarding companies :

1. ViaAddress
2. MyUs
3. BongoUs

Has anyone tried shipping to South Africa using either of these 3 ?

BongoUs calculated it at about $1295, ViaAddress did it at $208 and MyUs at $185 for a 10 kg parcel (22 lb). 10 kg is alot, but I doubt if my packages will be heavier than that, so was trying to see the max I would pay round about..

Does anyone maybe know what the Harmonized code for these items would be coz I think I might have calculated BongoUs wrong? I used 950590 as that is the code for S.A. And under Personal on the calculator, there isn't any items that sounds like what I'm trying to buy..

Thanks.

Last edited:

whythetorment

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Ohhhhh you know what... I just looked at the complete total. I see that they added in the value of my package as well.

It's suppose to be $270 for shipping only LOL...

So nevermind :)

Last edited:

a2zuniforms

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
I am a newb but I could not help but notice just like veterans that the positive post are all one hit wonders. I must say the vendors who posted them were VERY creative in their posts to make them look real.

We are a us online retailer seeking which is the best forwarder to promote on our site to try and increase our international business. Are there any other sites that you veterans know of that can shed some light on comparisons, grading, etc ? Or if you have any insight that would be great.

It would be nice if no other vendors post postive posts and let real users answer this question. I would have to wonder why a newb would be researching this topic if they "are happy" with their current service ??? Folks just don't do that.

mofoknows

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
Bongo International - Overly Restrictive & Expensive

After a year of subscribing to Bongo's services, we have had enough. My husband ordered a multitude of Christmas presents on Amazon.com. This included some Kindle's and Gift card's for the Kindle recipients.

1. Bongo required a copy of the credit card (both sides) for the Amazon purchase in order to ship them!
2. Because the billing address on the invoice was my husband and the shipping address was mine (Bongo business account) - they also required my husbands ID - two forms!
3. They then refused to ship the Gift Cards as they are deemed "monetary instruments" and are not shippable!
4. Amazon won't take the cards back and Bongo says: return or destroy ONLY!
5. Now none of our gifts will be received for Christmas and we have to buy gifts all over again
6. They charge $20 to send back the returnable items (Kindle's) to Amazon!

This isn't the only other time Bongo has scre@ed us. We has a camping knife that was held and they refused to ship and deal with. They then assign a tremendous weight to the item so when you request it be returned... it's like $400 USD!!! They actually charged this and we had contacted them for a credit for which they never processed!

This company is overly restrictive, heavily pads their DHL and UPS shipping in order to make a buck and holds your shipments ransom in many cases! I'd warn anyone doing business with them to stop and this isn't just me being disgruntled. These people cost us hundreds of dollars and just don't care. Their policies are not completely regulated by the shipping couriers as they would have you believe and the amount of paperwork involved...

I recommend this: IF a company won't ship outside of the US to you directly, find another company to buy from! Freight forwarders like Bongo treat you as criminal and with overly restrictive customs affecting all imports, high shipping costs and crap business practices involved, you would best be warned to stay well away and find another way to do business.

Bongo International... may you RIP! Somebody needs to send the BBB over and investigate you bastar&*s!

- Another Disgruntled Bongo Customer

Bawayee

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
An alternative to Bongous and MyUs.com

Anyone tried MyParcelGuru.com yet? They seem to be honest about their services and their response time and customer service is second to none.

Have been with them for almost a year and never encountered any problems

Here is the url:

http://www.myparcelguru.com:)

veronicam111

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Another option than BONGO is GlobalShopex and Eshopex. I have used them both and they are very good services. Eshopex is directed more toward Latin America but GlobalShopex ships to 150 different countries. Also, they are cheaper and very efficient. The customer service was also great with any questions I had and my package even arrived a day early!
http://www.globalshopex.com
http://www.eshopex.com

Perth

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Never had a bad experience with Bongo, though I've read a number of unsatisfied customers commenting or blogging about their services. I settled with NYBox http://www.nybox.com/ mainly because, it allows me to store items for a month and have them send in a bulk, which saves a lot for my business. I buy and sell gadgets by the way, mostly apple products.

kinyubi

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Try Goopping

Goopping is a new freight forwarding service. I have used Bongo and MyUs to ship stuff to Australia in the past. I saw Goopping's rates and they were much better so I tried them. I've only used them once but the experience was very satisfactory.

damiana

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
scam

http://www.bongous.com: package delivered in 14 days instead of top 5, no customer service for helping with the delay.

Asked for refund since they did not keep their promise, they declined.

stay away !!

sayapone

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
cancelling my BongoUS

Hey guys, sorry I know this has been an old thread, but I just received my 3rd delivery from BongoUS, am soooo disappointed and angry with the way it was packaged and posting here just to vent it out and to share. I just joined BongoUS in July 2011; the fees are a bit on the high side but after comparing with some other sites; I told myself; "Hey, higher fees means better service right?" I learnt the hard way it is not always the case.

I live in Australia and as it's cheaper to get Lego toys in the US, I decided to buy some and ship it back. The 1st shipment was OK, 2nd shipment - more item got crushed and the 3rd one was the worst packing ever! I bought Lego 10188 and 10221 (huge Lego Star Wars) and Lego 10197, and BongoUS decided to squeeze all into one large box, which obviously couldn't close properly as it takes an extra of 4.5 inch/11cm from the actual box height. The box does not close properly, you could see the item from the top as there is substantial space open an the top. Consolidation to them means "we squeeze everything into one box and we do not care what the condition of the item when it reaches you".

I do buy items from AmazonUS and AmazonUK and I realised that their boxes are wayyyy much sturdier than the ones that BongoUS used. Oh did I mentioned that BongoUS normally recycled the boxes that they received; meaning they save cost on packaging. Clever right? But if they are recycling, I'd prefer to have Amazon's boxes over BongoUS boxes (if you can call them box) - my 2nd shipment, received 2 BongoUS boxes and 1 Amazon box - the items in the Amazon box was intact, but couldn't say the same for the other 2 boxes.

I made a complain to BongoUS before, but couldn't claim anything because only the boxes are damaged, not the actual item. So if you are planning to buy something (in my case Lego) as a present, just forget it. There's absolutely no guarantee that it will reach you in a nice shape.

I had 4 similar size boxes shipped using BongoUS; the earliest 4 was charged at 10.53lb, but the latest one was charged 12.58. Made a request to reweigh and I was charged $2, but still bears the same weight. Made a complain and received a reply to make a request to reweigh again. Again another easy way to make money.

One of my item is currently missing; I plan to make a claim and see how long it'll take them to refund me my money. And after that I'm going to close my account which I am currently paying $15/monthly.

P/S: I just posted a similar comment on another forum about 5mins ago..sooooo annoyed!

jack dawson

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
A news to share with everyone

Hii.. wish i could share my good news with viaddress.com

I Received products with ease from the Viaddress.com, they also delivered the products in time, great customer service , very low shipping rates when compared with the other competitors :))

Viaddress.com allows people in turkey to shop from US retailers like Amazon.com, Ebay.com,Zappos, Newegg

please visit Viaddress.com

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
This thread is unintentionally hilarious, what with all the one-post wonders, both in favor of some companies and against others.

Seriously, it's the Thread Of The Living Shills.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
This thread is unintentionally hilarious, what with all the one-post wonders, both in favor of some companies and against others.

Seriously, it's the Thread Of The Living Shills.

I'm always skeptical when a newbie's first post is to praise companies of dubious dependability and credibility.

I'm imagining a Hollywood movie....Night of the Living Shills, with the shills saying that Zombies are your friends and you should welcome them.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
It's a shame, was hoping to get some legit reviews on these companies, but clearly this isn't the case.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I use transexpress , address in florida but i dont know if they forward worldwide :confused: they do have a local warehouse here and you go pickup yourself and pay for everything when you pickup , no credit card needed to setup account.

The bongous offer Europe address but i dont know those guys seem rather "bogus" lol ; i suggest investigate in your country if theres a forward/courier company well established.

Wheats

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Bongo International ruined our wedding

Bongo International should never be trusted! we live in Australia and were looking online for a company that would ship what we wanted as gifts for our groomsmen. We ordered 4 glasses 2-3 months before the date of our wedding. we expected them to arrive within that time. when it got to a week before the wedding and they hadnt arrived, we contacted Bongo and was told they had left and we should get them soon. A few days later we contacted them again and they sent us a tracking number that showed they had not even left the States, but in the months we had been waiting for them, they had travel to Europe - TWICE!!
This company has no regard for their customers. they just want your money! when the glasses did arrive, a week after the wedding, they were all smashed. we contacted them and they said we were coved by insurance. we went on our honeymoon and when we returned, emailed the company photos of the damaged glasses. they then told us it was too late to make a claim and they would not do anything about it. no money back, no new glasses - NOTHING! we have emailed saying we want our money back and they do not reply. i wish we had read the reviews before we wasted any time with this company and gave them money. this company should be put out of business.

Armadilla

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Do never use Bongo.

I saw the earlier posts in this thread recommending Bongo so I went with them.

My first two shipments were fine but then the nightmare started.

I requested shipping for items that were urgently needed in my business. I paid $480.00 to have three boxes sent - bit expensive but I figured that it was the cost of having them delivered within 3-5 business days (as Bongo promises on their website).

It took three days for them to even bother to send the packages because of some paperwork issue on their end.

Now two weeks later, I still don't have the shipment. And here's the kicker - while I can claim on insurance for the missing items, they won't refund the shipping cost. So I've paid $480.00 for them to lose my urgent shipment!!

Total ripoff.

I've found much cheaper shipping through myus.com. And the service can't be worse than at Bongo. I'll report back.

MrBee

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Hi there,

NEVER EVER EVER EVER use BongoUS.

I had a parcel shipped to them for shipment to South Africa. The parcel according to BongoUS weighed 30lbs. The product inside the parcel weighs 16lbs, and will packaging, probably no more that 20-25lbs. This is rather irrelevent. The package cost me $300 in all, with shipping and all to BongoUS. This then to ship to me was quoted at time of processing at ~$380 Which is already high, but I though i could live with that... I miss read the site, the $380 was with a proposed discount I would get if I upgraded... my actual ripping off was $580... for shipping a product to the value of $300... This was only seen after the amount went through on my Credit card... So, I establish contact with the support people, they attempted to assist me, but could not, and could not cancel the transaction. I was forced to do a chargeback on the credit card.

bottom line... DO NOT USE THEM, they will rip you a new one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.