Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Everything else works fine. Wireless networking, Apple Remote, YouTube, streaming content from notebook, etc.

But when I try to stream a TV show that I paid for a year ago, I get this "unauthorized" error message. What gives? I paid my $2.99. I want to watch an episode of Mad Men. It's on my notebook, it plays fine there, I'm signed in with my appleid properly. Why will my ATV2 play ripped movies but not TV shows I paid $ for?

Help. TIA.

BJ

KD35

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
In your itunes library is the selected movie "checked"?? If its not checked, I dont believe it will play on the ATV...

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Solved the problem. Here's the fix for those who search in the future:

Unbeknownst to me, one of my kids authorized his notebook to my account and it de-authorized mine. There's a 5 computer limit for authorizations, we exceeded it. By choosing "de-authorize all computers" and then re-authorizing them each one-at-a-time, we got ourselves right again.

So if you try to stream an iTunes purchased TV show from your notebook without checking to see if your notebook is authorized, you get the "unauthorized content" error message. On a computer, when you try to watch one of these shows it gives you a longer error message that explains the need to re-authorize yourself; on the ATV, its an ambiguous one.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.