Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Simple question.

I'm switching between several.

1. Working Effectively with Legacy Code Michael Feathers
2. A16: Food + Wine

On Deck:
The Passionate Programmer Chad Fowler
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship Robert C. Martin
Pragmatic Thinking and Learning Andy Hunt
Flex on Java BJ Allmon

You can see more of my books I've read/reading on linkedIn (link in sig).

Note: All my books are technical but this thread is by no means a technical discussion. If you're reading Harry Potter, list it. If you're reading your dishwasher's instruction manual, list it. If you're reading your sister's diary, list it... and give up the juicy details.

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
:confused:

I don't get the connection. Is this ridicule of some sort?

If so, why would others post in this thread??

Please explain. :)

I sure hope you're kidding. Since I cannot detect sarcasm through the interwebs, I will explain.

I was making a reference to the movie Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good thread, and nice to see books get a bit of a look-in.

My current reading is "Empires of the Word", by Nicholas Ostler,
"The Rise and fall of Communism", by Archie Brown,
"Black Sea" (again) by Neal Ascherson,
"Lenin's Tomb" (again) by David Remnick,
"The Unknown Stalin" by Zhores Medvedev and Roy Medvedev,
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins,
and "Leica R7" by Arthur Landt.

Recent fiction reading has included "the Song of the Beast" by Carol Berg,
"Under Heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay,
"The Lies of Locke Lamorra"
and "Red Seas Under Red Skies" both by Scott Lynch
and also "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel

Cheers

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
If you've never heard of this author, go pick up one of his books right now. He's an amazing storyteller with unbelievable detail.

Attachments

• allthenames.png
    allthenames.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 50

mcash1

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Just finished Savage Detectives by Bolano
Just about to start the Plague by Camus

I want to get The Wave by Susan Casey and try reading some Cortazar

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm reading John MacArthur's The Gospel according to Jesus, its a good book, based completely on the Gospels.
Gospelaccordingtojesus.png

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just started reading Sara Douglas' Battleaxe. Not sure I like it, yet…but the triology is supposedly good, so I'm giving it a bit of leniency.

Just finished Robert Charles Wilson's Spin, which I liked enough to put Axis on the reading list.

And even more recently Steven Saylor's The Triumph of Caesar (in Norwegian translation), which I didn't really like. I've read a couple of other books about Gordianus the Finder, and loved those, but in this book I think Saylor tells a rather uninteresting story and are just trying to show off all his knowledge about ancient Rome…which we already know he has, anyway...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Fiction is boring these days. I used to like reading it a lot, but so much of it is trash. I like biographical stuff more. Just read What the Dog Saw by Malcom Gladwell and Role Models by John Waters. Probably will read Carrie Fisher's new one next.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Currently reading "The Host", by Stephenie Meyer. It's much better than the Twilight series IMO.

Spin was really good, I agree. Axis was pretty good too, but I liked Spin much better. :)

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
A recent post in PRSI prompted me to read Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. I started, got interrupted, and am now back. Not sure if I'll get all the way through it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Stranger by Camus is good as well. Very existential and thought-provoking.

Very true, a very thought provoking book, and rather controversial when it was first published.

Just finished Roma by Steven Saylor.

Saylor is very good at bringing ancient Rome to life, and I agree with Mittrawnuruodo that all of the Gordius the Finder books are very good. If you would like to take a look at an extremely well-written history book which covers that same era, I'd recommend Tom Holland's excellent history, called "Rubicon".

Last year, I read the Millenium Trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest), by Stieg Larsson and found them superb.

Cheers

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
2666: a novel by Roberto Bolano

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean

Salt: a world history by Mark kurlansky

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I've been reading a lot of travel books recently - Lonely Planet and Rough Guides being two of my favourite series. I find them interesting.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just about to finish The Perfect Storm (Sebastian Junger). Next is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland) or maybe a re-read of Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton).

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.