Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134752-ipad-landscape-connector-2_500.jpg

Mission Repair has posted a photo showing an iPad back-enclosure that has two dock connectors -- one on the landscape side and one on the portrait side.
Ask and you shall receive: Here’s a shot of an iPad back case showing the dock connectors both on the bottom of the iPad (as we’re used to) and on the side of the iPad so you can dock it in landscape mode. Just as we hoped.
The current iPad model only has a dock connector on the portrait (narrow) side. Apple has had patents describing this configuration and early rumors that described this design for the original iPad.

Mission Repair believes this could represent the next iPad. However, we've heard that this design was for the original iPad and subsequently scrapped. We suspect this is an old hardware prototype for the original iPad, as the next iPad has been said to take on a thinner form factor.

Article Link: Photo of iPad Enclosure with Dual Dock Connectors

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I don't see it happening. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening. This is a MOBILE device that's mostly aimed at those on-the-go. I can't fathom more than 15% of iPad users actually dock it, and if they do, no more than 20% of the time. I don't see Apple putting any focus on dual connectors.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
While it would be cool for the Apple iPad Keyboard Dock I don't think I would ever use it. I sync my iPad every once in a while and just use a wireless keyboard if I need one.

WoodySD

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Not likely

Not likely since the dock connector is located on the left side which would be covered by folding cases.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
it's a stupid idea to have dual dock connectors.
why do you need to dock in landscape?
you can still see everything when the ipad is docked in portrait.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
"In a related story, emergency rooms across the country have been seeing an increase in traffic relating to hand lacerations. Officials are stating that the new Apple iPad is the culprit. Apple released a new iPad with a side connector port allowing users to charge their iPad in landscape mode...."

Fake

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
it's a stupid idea to have dual dock connectors.
why do you need to dock in landscape?
you can still see everything when the ipad is docked in portrait.

I agree... There would have to be a really damn good reason to include that feature on a device that already has severely limited internal space. I'd wonder what they gave up to do that.

I'm don't have an issue using the iPad in landscape with the cable plugged in. Oh, but I use the Apple iPad cover and as a result can't use any of the iPad docks, which isn't a big deal because I don't have any docks for my iPhone or the few iPods that I have. It seems like a 'committee decision', a feature that isn't really a feature. Oh, and why isn't it centered on the edge? Doesn't that make it prone to tip?

Whatever...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You mean no back camera.;)

As far as it being off-center both iPad connectors look off-center if you zoom in.

You're right. The bottom connector looks shifted to the right (left as seen). The labeling can be explained somewhat by the curvature of the back, but the bottom slot looks definitely shifted...

:confused::eek:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I have to say fake on this, it just seems, to me at least, that a second dock connector is totally unneeded and a poor aesthetic choice.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
Get rid of all docking ports, sync over wifi, power with a mag safe connector.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
There's a magsafe patent for iDevices - might be nice to see.
The back isn't curved - guess they try all sorts of things out.
Would rather see LightPeak MagSafe really.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That would have been nicer than the current configuration. I would have settled for just landscape even.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.