Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Hi All,

Just got the 27 inch LED ACD. I love it. It is a beautiful screen and has really made my work very enjoyable. This all being said, the sound has been cutting out on the built in speakers. I have installed the update and called apple. Apple had me reset the SMC which was only a temporary fix as the sound has cut out again. Anyone know of a more permanent fix?

As always, thanks for the help MacRumors forums members. Hopefully as I learn I can help people rather than just ask questions...

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Haven't had that experience, but one time I saw the backlight kind of get a little dim for a brief second during a heavy bass note on a particular song while I had the volume turned up. I didn't see it happen again after I tried it again though. I suspect it was related to power draw or something.

mictons

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I have been having the same issue with my 27" ACD, it seems to be related to allowing the computer to go to sleep, if I don't allow my computer to sleep it is fine, once I turn on power management I loose the sound once it sleeps. You can unplug the monitor power for 10 seconds and it will reset and work until the next time it sleeps. The ultimate fix will be a software update from Apple, we should all contact Apple to make sure they are working on a fix.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
on the phone now

Thanks so much to you both for your replys. I am on the phone with apple support right now. They are researching the issue. Hopefully this will motivate a software fix for this problem. I will change my sleep settings on my computer to see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
USB Audio quits working after awhile.

Resetting the SMC brings it back every time.

So I would guess it is a software issue that can be fixed in a firmware update.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Okay, so I spoke with Apple Support on the phone. I told them about the issue and how resetting the SMC works, but I didnt want to have to do that everyday and just wanted the audio to work all the time. They said that no one else had reported this issue but if it kept happening to call them again.

Sooooo. I guess we will see what happens tomorrow.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
It did it again today, I noticed that the USB ports work fine, but the iSight, Speakers, and Mic quit working on the display. SMC reset and everything was fine.

I really believe it is a software issue and can be fixed by Apple.

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
I have had this issue twice now with my 27 ACD. Rebooting my macbook did not resolve the issue. I had to physically unplug the monitor and wait a few moments before plugging back in.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Hi All,

I am sorry other people have been running into this problem. Please call apple and let them know about this issue. I'm not sure how honest they were with me when Apple said, "they have no record of anyone else reporting this issue" but hopefully with many people reporting the issue they will be motivated to come out with a fix quickly.

For your reference here is the phone number for Apple Support.

1-800-275-2273

Thanks!

mictons

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I just got off the phone with support and they had me load the 27" software update Again! And told me to call back if it continues. If you are having this issue please call Apple so it will get some visibility. I told him there are threads going in this forum and one on the Apple Support website with the same issue but they need to hear from us. He gave me a case number to call back on because I told him I will be calling every time it happens.

Dont know about you guys but I expect the sound to work all the time on a $1000.00 monitor!

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Thanks for calling! I will do the same, and call every time it happens. Which, it has already happened again!

How do you reload the update again?

Thanks again!

mictons

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
Everything works like it did before I reloaded the update including the problem, I am getting ready to call Apple right now because I have no audio once again.

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
No luck here. I'm up to 4 occurrences of this problem in one week of 27" ACD ownership. Quite frustrating. Each time it has happened, Ive been too busy to call Apple. Hopefully I'll have time next time it occurs.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
I have had the issue arise everyday since I got the display. I really do love the visual aspects of the display, but the sound is really important to me. I have called apple 4 times and they just keep having me reset the port ram. I am looking forward to the day that I call them and they acknowledge the problem and express the need to have a fix for it in the future.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I call them they have me reset the SMC.

Right now everything has stopped working except the USB ports. I would call them again but they will have me reset the SMC again, and again, and again.

Hopefully Apple has a fix on the way. I see zero point in returning the display since this is a common problem that Apple will have to address with a firmware/software update soon.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Does anyone have the issue where there is a delay in hearing the up/down volume sound when going up or down in volume? The "boing" sound is a little late after hitting the button. My 24" LED doesn't have this problem, only the 27".

DBriggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Hey,

I too have has the issue of the delay. I have found the delay just gets worse until the sound goes out completely. It is not a quick thing though. Goes out over a couple hours.

Dan

mictons

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I have called in 4 times now and every time I call they run me through the usual script, check this, reset that, blablabla. They did elevate my issue to a "SENIOR" engineer the last time I called and he is doing some research on the issue so we "are" getting some visibility with Apple now. He is supposed to contact me today or tomorrow with an answer.

There is a chance this is a hardware issue, every time I call in they check there database and do not have a large number of calls with this problem. If you look at this thread there are only a few of us experiencing the problem so based on how may units they have sold we are a very small minority. They are looking at replacing my unit because I told them I would return it to the Apple store if the issue it is not addressed. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

rafarmer

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
I just purchased one this past weekend and noticed the sound stops working after my MBP goes to sleep. When I wake it back up the sound has stopped working but if I unplug the ACD for a few seconds and plug it back in the sound comes back. I have a call into Apple but I'm thinking it may be something to do with the USB after sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.