Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Number6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Just got my new Apple TV today and set it up as the old one by using my US account (I am located in Germany). Generally I'm very satisfied with the speed and quality of streaming and the fast response times of the menu. However when I wanted to check out the TV rentals there were only previews available!
I could not find a single rental and that makes me wonder if the new Apple TV checks for my ip address. Movie rentals work, although I was surprised to find a Top Sales section in the menus section of this rental only device! Anyone from around the world with an US account having the same experience? I am slightly disappointed and thinking about getting a really fast VPN (which might help with Netflix as well...).

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Just got my new Apple TV today and set it up as the old one by using my US account (I am located in Germany). Generally I'm very satisfied with the speed and quality of streaming and the fast response times of the menu. However when I wanted to check out the TV rentals there were only previews available!
I could not find a single rental and that makes me wonder if the new Apple TV checks for my ip address. Movie rentals work, although I was surprised to find a Top Sales section in the menus section of this rental only device! Anyone from around the world with an US account having the same experience? I am slightly disappointed and thinking about getting a really fast VPN (which might help with Netflix as well...).

I'm in Canada and I can rent TV shows with my US account.

Number6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I'm in Canada and I can rent TV shows with my US account.

Okay, that's encouraging. Maybe it's only a problem with my setup? Still I would love to hear from other users (UK anyone?) if they can rent TV shows with a foreign ip address...

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Make sure you've selected "United States" in the Apple TV menu, as well as logging in to your US account -- you could also make sure you're logged into the US account in iTunes on the computer, and have Home Sharing set up using that account, and be logged into Home Sharing on the same account on the Apple TV!

I haven't rented anything but the rental button is clearly there, not just previews, so I'm assuming it'll work. (In the UK.)

Number6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply! I am all US on all my Macs and both of my Apple TVs and the store works for movies. Why does it block from renting TV shows? Ironically I could download the free 'Lie to me' episode on my Mac and stream it to the Apple TV :confused:

trance2

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
Quito, Ecuador
Now, the next hurdle is to get Netflix to allow us to watch content outside the US. I am currently stationed abroad and I have a Netflix account in which I receive my DVDs via the APO/DPO system.

Last night I fired up my brand new Apple TV 2 and tried to view a movie on Netflix and got the error message of "This content is not available for your location". I feel that Netflix needs to follow the Apple model of if your billing address is a US based one then by all means welcome.

This content management model frustrates me to no end, the Internet is global network. For the time being I have to VPN (read, huge network performance hit) to the US in order to watch content on Hulu.com and Netflix.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.