Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2009
London, UK
As stated in the title, the USB display audio on my brand new (arrived yesterday) 27" ACD no longer works. It was fine yesterday but now does not function at all.

I have downloaded all of the latest drivers, rebooted both the display and the MacBook. Tried both USB ports in the MacBook. I have checked in system preferences and I am using the correct settings (Display Audio) as the other option for output (built in) works fine, but obviously does not sound as good.

I phoned apple tech support and they put me through to an engineer who said he will be able to contact me in 4-5 days. I wondered if anyone else has this problem or has been able to solve it.

I am using a late 2008 Aluminium Unibody MacBook - if that has any baring on my situation...

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I'm glad it worked, but unfortunately the problem seems to return every couple of days.

The iSight, speakers, and mic will all quit working. But resetting the SMC seems to be a temporary fix until Apple pushes out a firmware/software update.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I'm glad it work, but unfortunately the problem seems to return every couple of days.

The iSight, speakers, and mic will all quit working. But resetting the SMC seems to be a temporary fix until Apple pushes out a firmware/software update.

Ah ok, well Luke at Apple said that if the problem returns that I should email him and let him know if the problem returns, or if anything else happens.

I'm really glad about how helpful Apple are being about this.

With any luck they will release a software update soon, as I don't fancy having to reset the SMC again, as the tab came out of my battery and I had to open the whole case...

mictons

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
You should contact Apple every time this occurs so they will have record of the issue and work on a fix.

mrples

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
27" LED Cinema Display - no sound at all

this issue has been discussed at the apple-support-discussions for the last ten days. i became a victim myself yesterday. as i posted there, my CPU is also about to blow out and the fans are spinning themselves to death.
found this:
LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0 (Topic: TS3520; http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3520?viewlocale=en_US).

not sure if it'll fix the issue, but i just gave it a try.

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks for the info on the software update! I'll try it to...earlier today i just posted that i didn't have the sound problem. 15mins ago i had to reset SMC =P, jynxed myself haha.

Hopefully this update will fix it, until then i guess i'll have to deal with it. Luckily resetting SMC only takes like 45seconds with an SSD...

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
For me the update didn't fix anything. I've tried on several occasions to get the update to work but so far nothing.

I think this will require a firmware update on the display itself. Hopefully Apple is working on this.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-21 at 4.03.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-21 at 4.03.41 PM.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 291

toschlebelge

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Karlsruhe, Germany
No sound - same probleme here

I have the same problem. Brandnew 27'', arrived 2 days ago and suddenly no sound, very unresponsive volume control.
Interestingly iTunes stoppes playing and goes to Pause when I switch from the internal speakers to the USB display speakers.
Resetting the SMC solved the problem.. We'll see for how long.

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
I get around this problem by unplugging and replugging the display into a power outlet. Not really a great fix but does the job, Apple need to patch this ASAP

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
I have this issue on a 24 ACD which has been fine for 6 months. Now USB side of the display fails on the occasions it's happened Youtube video seems to have been the trigger for it to fail.

toschlebelge

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Karlsruhe, Germany
Still no solution

It was all fine for some time, now the problem is back. I have been in contact with Apple support in Germany, they gave me some logging tool to save the system config.
I returned the log to them and they said they would send it to Cupertino...
I guess as several people seem to have the issue, we just will have to wait...
BTW: Anyone of you also using an Extension for the cable from the Display to the Mac?

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear All,

For what's worth it. I had the same sound issues. Apple kindly replaces my display with a new one. It seems really a new batch, since the plastic wrapped on the front seems different then the first screen (improved, no glue anymore direct on the glass). The power cord is a bit different as well. Last but not least, when I tried the software update for the 27" LED cinema display I got the message "Your computer doesn't need this update"

No sound issues at all. With the old ones I knew how to trigger it, but with the new one, nothing so far. No sluggish volume bar, and sound immediately when selected as audio output. Maybe I am a bit early with drawing conclusions but it seems solved in the new batch.

My new screen is also (both after calibration) less yellowish, and I like this panel more then the first I had.

I am very happy and thank you very much Apple for your fast and good service. Send my old ACD friday, received the replacement today at monday. Simply amazing!

With kind regards,
Bas

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.