Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Just came across these on booq's site and didn't see them mentioned here.

LINK TO BOOQ - Prices range from $49.99 - $89.99 (depending on the material/color)

Not sure how I feel about the iPod/iPhone pocket in the front (almost wish they sold a version without it), but overall I really like the design. I had a booq case in the past and was very impressed with the build quality, so I hope these are as good. Anyway, just curious if anyone has come across these yet.

BFL-BLR1l.jpg

BFL-BLR2l.jpg

BFL-BLR3l.jpg

BFL-BLR4l.jpg

BFL-BLR5l.jpg

BFL-BLR6l.jpg

BFL-BLR7l.jpg

BFL-BLR8l.jpg

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
This has got to be the nicest looking case I've seen yet, besides the SGP Vintage Argos. I will consider this one since it does the keyboard and movie view angle. Thanks for the link! I too wish they'd offer the case without the iPhone holder, it completely ruins the beauty of it. It'll look so much better without the pocket, instead with just an elegant logo.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
The Big plastic bezel covering holder is fairly ungainly, as is the iPhone pocket. It does keep with their general aesthetic though. Much more a fan of their new messenger bag.

SdPunk

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for sharing this. I have had a hard time looking for something to replace my Apple case. Now I can get a new bag too!!! Now I know what I am getting for Christmas.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
The Big plastic bezel covering holder is fairly ungainly, as is the iPhone pocket. It does keep with their general aesthetic though. Much more a fan of their new messenger bag.

Really? I kinda prefer the plastic bezel as opposed to the corner only holder designs. I guess to each his own.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I like it.

Personally, the outer pocket would be useful as I would be able to store my hotspot in there.

I wonder how well the case holds the ipad up in landscape mode though.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I like it.

Personally, the outer pocket would be useful as I would be able to store my hotspot in there.

I wonder how well the case holds the ipad up in landscape mode though.

I assume its snug enough to keep it tightly in there. I'll be ordering it tonight, so i'll keep ya posted once it arrives.

jparris1

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
I'm concerned too about the iPad sliding out in the upright stand position. But Booq stuff is generally top notch so I ordered one. I'll update as well once mine arrives.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Looks awesome like other versatile high-quality products from booq. Only gripe about the case is the pocket... but at least it's functional (maybe the pocket is there for the sake of the "booq" emblem in the front). I prefer to carry iPad in a sleeve but the ballistic folio case is very tempting...

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I assume its snug enough to keep it tightly in there. I'll be ordering it tonight, so i'll keep ya posted once it arrives.

yeah, an update would be appreciated.

I doubt the ipad would fall out so easily as Im sure more than enough testing has been done, though my concern would be the tolerances of the plastic. It may be snug, but what if it's too snug, especially if you're using a back protector and screen protector. That's a problem I encountered when using the Otterbox Commuter. May not be an issue for those just using a screen protector, but I am curious.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
According to the booq website, that bezel is made of soft rubber (silicone?). I think it looks good, it will probably offer better protection than the Apple, Chinao and similar. I guess it'll also be much easier to remove the iPad to use "naked" while at home. me like! me wants. :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

If it holds like that, then it isn't going to be easy to get in or out.

it's an obvious deception.

Nothing is holding it there, unless it is too tight.

Kacey3

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I'm concerned too about the iPad sliding out in the upright stand position. But Booq stuff is generally top notch so I ordered one. I'll update as well once mine arrives.

I have the same concern. Be sure to let us know the verdict as soon as yours comes in. I have the InCase PadFolio and the iPad is constantly sliding down out of the case when it's in a stand-up position.

jparris1

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Well, the case has multiple problems for me. It does slide out when in the Landscape vertical stand position. Not all the way out, but enough so that I am constantly pushing it back in so the cut outs line up. Additionally, that position is not very stable. Perhaps with use it will get better, but right now it is very easy to tip over. Finally, the elastic strap immediately got stretched out and now hangs loosely behind the case when not used to secure the cover.

The material of the case is top notch, and it looks beautiful. but I won't be using it.

Kacey3

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
The material of the case is top notch, and it looks beautiful. but I won't be using it.

Oh man, that's such depressing news! It looked like the best bet in the new case market. I'm so ready to ditch my InCase PadFolio, but it looks like I'm still stuck for now.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Well, the case has multiple problems for me. It does slide out when in the Landscape vertical stand position. Not all the way out, but enough so that I am constantly pushing it back in so the cut outs line up. Additionally, that position is not very stable. Perhaps with use it will get better, but right now it is very easy to tip over. Finally, the elastic strap immediately got stretched out and now hangs loosely behind the case when not used to secure the cover.

Thank you for the review. I hope booq solves this problem for the next version of the iPad folio... How disappointing... :(

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Disappointing to hear and I was hoping to be wrong about the observation.

Jparris1, are you going to contact booq? Obviously if you return it but to also inform them about what you discovered? Maybe they can address these issues sooner than later.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Oh man, that's such depressing news! It looked like the best bet in the new case market. I'm so ready to ditch my InCase PadFolio, but it looks like I'm still stuck for now.

Seriously take a look at Yoobao slim. The thing is amazing. My only gripe is it is near impossible to remove, but I guess that's a plus too if your worried about it slipping out of the case.

jparris1

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Disappointing to hear and I was hoping to be wrong about the observation.

Jparris1, are you going to contact booq? Obviously if you return it but to also inform them about what you discovered? Maybe they can address these issues sooner than later.

I don't typically return cases, but I suppose I should at least let them know about my experiences. I'll drop them a line.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Mine is scheduled for arrival tomorrow. I'll let you know if i have the same issues, hopefully not but we'll see.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
The booq just arrived 30 minutes ago. No issues here with it sliding out (as of yet), i just tested it out and i cant get it to fall out even by shaking it up and down while flipped back, but i can move it out on my own by pulling on it.

I haven't used it much yet but the fit and finish looks great and i like how the ipad feels in it. So far, i'm pretty happy with it. When you flip it up in mode i have it in the pictures below, you need to rock it back a little bit to become stable, but once its stable its great and doesnt seem like it would fall over unless i really tried to tip it over.

I'll post back again after a few days of usage.

2 quick pics;
content

content

JohnsonVision

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
The booq just arrived 30 minutes ago. No issues here with it sliding out (as of yet), i just tested it out and i cant get it to fall out even by shaking it up and down while flipped back, but i can move it out on my own by pulling on it.

I haven't used it much yet but the fit and finish looks great and i like how the ipad feels in it. So far, i'm pretty happy with it.

I'll post back again after a few days of usage.

Thanks for the first impressions...looking forward to a more in-depth review. Which one did you end up getting, the cheaper nylon looking one or the more expensive leather one?* And has the elastic strap stretched out like another user pointed out? Thanks!

*I guess I should have looked at your pics first.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Glad to hear it's working out so far.

Any chance you can measure the pocket? It looks like it's slightly bigger than an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.