Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Most likely...lots of people have told me that it's a bad idea to run BOINC on a laptop. I'm not sure why...no problems here...

The only problem might be heating issues. Monitor that and you will be safe.

BTW we are now 6 members in the team ! :)

Meldar

macrumors regular
Yes 6 members...the most recent of which has 8 processors and a 512MB GPU. I feel like I'm doing something wrong...like everyone else is doing 10x the work that I am.

Not that it's a big deal (this isn't a big competition) but still, a little confusing. :p

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Umm I think I joined but I don't know if my computer is doing anything? Any help with this please.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Yes 6 members...the most recent of which has 8 processors and a 512MB GPU. I feel like I'm doing something wrong...like everyone else is doing 10x the work that I am.

Not that it's a big deal (this isn't a big competition) but still, a little confusing. :p
MOOOHAHAHAH!!!:D

Actually a 4 core, but I have hyperthreading on so it just looks like 8.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
if i join can i add multiple computers or 1 computer per person... maybe i need to go to the site and read before asking :)
either way i'll have 2 i5's, a 2.66C2D laptop, and the new 2.4C2D mini.

Late tonight and just reading n watching TV, i'll join up in the a.m.

edit: Just added my iMac and MBP, i'll add the other 2 tomorrow :)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
if i join can i add multiple computers or 1 computer per person...

Yes you can totally have many computers. Some have dozens...

I wish milky way had support for my GPU, otherwise I would be cranking out more than costabunny.;)

I almost regret to have invited costabunny, he's spoiling our nice game ! Just kidding obviously... :D

8 members now ! Welcome to the newcomers and congrats to you raquel/costabunny !

Meldar

macrumors regular
If grid computing such as this was more serious than a simple volunteer hobby, I'd shell out $1500 on a Firestream GPU and get millions of credits a week...but since there's no monetary reward for crunching the most numbers, that'd be silly.

That said, I'm considering upgrading the GPU on my gaming PC. Probably gonna get an HD Radeon something-or-other (9620 or something like that) once I can cobble together $150 and budget the rest of my important expenses. Yay for being a broke college student. :D

In other news, it would appear as though I've joined the team again yesterday...not quite sure why, but yes...the progress I'm making, might as well call me NullCruncher.

Once I get home, I can have 4 or 5 of my computers running on this! Granted, only one is multi-core (and at that, it's hyper-threaded and from 2005) but it should still help. Oh my poor power bill...

Meldar

macrumors regular
Hey -

I just got my GPU online a few hours ago. It's not suited for MW@H since it's not a DP card, but there's a list of all the supported cards on the MW@H forums.

For a Mac, I only know about NVIDIA cards. One needs to download and install the CUDA environment (check the BOINC wiki, it's fairly straightforward - 3 steps or so) which requires Xcode, which you probably have.

ATi cards work differently, but setup isn't any different (I wouldn't think). I honestly don't know about Mac Pros...wish I did. First-hand. bleh I'm broke.

If you check my profile on MW, you notice my GPU is listed - but the only tasks it will do are those from PrimeGrid (after I configured my GPU, it downloaded no fewer than 40 tasks for it :eek:) - even Einstein@Home won't run because my GPU only has 256MB of memory.

On a Mac Pro you should be able to run MW@H GPU tasks, but I'm about as new to GPU CUDA computing as you are!

damn my MBP is getting hot hot hot...

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
oh gosh......

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 306

Meldar

macrumors regular
Yikes :eek:

-

On a different note, does anyone have a MBP with the GeForce 9600 GT or GT 330M (or comparable?) These cards don't work for MW@H but if enough people have 'em (since they are in the newer MBPs), I can make a brief tutorial on how to get BOINC to recognize them for use on projects like PrimeGrid. So far, that's the only one that works with my 330M.

Perhaps once I'm home, I'll have a few more computers on my little grid - may even invest in a new GPU for my gaming PC so I can a) run games made past 2004 and b) crunch MW@H and chase the speedy white rabbit...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
i have the 9600gt in my laptop but I never enable it anymore since it is purely my wife's mobile facebook at the moment and farmville hardly stresses out the 9400:p

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Good news guys !

Our team has entered the top 200 ranking and is now #193 in the MW project! A big thank you to costabunnny especially! We need more GPUs!!!

Meldar

macrumors regular
Gotta love how we outrank Apple Inc. XD

Yeah we do need more GPUs...seems as though costabunny's tasks are completed in little more than two minutes...for US$145 that's a darn good GPU.

I have my doubts about the ATi X800 SE in my home desktop...don't think it would work for MW@H. As it stands, all I can crunch in CUDA is PrimeGrid, and that takes a little over an hour per task. eOn and Einstein won't even support my GPU. (that's the GeForce GT 330M)

Perhaps over the summer I'll be upgrading my gaming PC at home, if I'm able to come by a couple hundred dollars or so (read: get a job) for a great GPU. The machine's pretty much on 24/7 anyway!

Wish I could help more, but I do as much as I can here at college with my MBP...

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
just joined same user name as the forums here . have litterally just put my cpu on it but how do i put my gpu on it is compatible and supported and ive turned on gpu online and in client but dosent work and also each of the 4 tasks says that it has 10 hours to complete (one for each pysical core) also my cpu usage is like 100% then 42-50 then 5 seconds later 100 then 10 seconds later 43-50% again

Attachments

• cpu usage.PNG
    cpu usage.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 238

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
just joined-up...thanks for the opportunity to participate!:):)

Welcome metamorphoses!

just joined same user name as the forums here . have litterally just put my cpu on it but how do i put my gpu on it is compatible and supported and ive turned on gpu online and in client but dosent work and also each of the 4 tasks says that it has 10 hours to complete (one for each pysical core) also my cpu usage is like 100% then 42-50 then 5 seconds later 100 then 10 seconds later 43-50% again

Welcome too! I can't help for the GPU but some here will I am sure...

Meldar

macrumors regular

If it is an NVIDIA card, then check here for info on how to go about setting it up; you need to download some CUDA drivers from the NVIDIA site.

If it's an ATi card then I have no idea about how to set it up. Theoretically you shouldn't have to do anything.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.