Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pufferton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
quick question: I am on the $15 data plan 200mb. what counts as my data usage? is it the Sent, Received, or both together?

follicle84

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
I'm a little new to this, so you'll have to bear with me. The data used is both sent and received. I have the 2GB plan, because I was worried about only having 200MB a month. As of today, I have 4 days left in my billing cycle. To date, I have used 191 MB of data.

So far as my daily usage, I do the following:

• E-mail (But not much. I receive about 3-5 e-mails a day. Sometimes more.)
  • Facebook App (Checked about 10 times a day)
  • CNN App (About 5 minutes a day)
  • Regular surfing (About 5-7 minutes a day)

I don't do the following unless I am connected to WiFi:

• Watch YouTube videos
  • Download apps or e-mail attachments

That's about it. This is my first month owning an iPhone and I must say that I am rather surprised that I am currently sitting under the 200MB mark. I invested in the 2GB plan because I was sure I was going to go over. I think I might stick with the 2GB plan though, as now I know I can use it a lot more! However, if you are limited to a 200MB plan, I wouldn't worry. Just check your data usage by dialing *3282#. This will send a text message to your phone instantly with fairly up-to-date data usage information.

Hope this helps.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Both under cellular network data.
Find out the date your new billing cycle starts and reset it on that day to get somewhat an idea where you stand.
Also you can use the AT&T Mywireless app to keep track of it but it is kinda slower to post it up by a day or so.

bigtoothpick

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
I'm a little new to this, so you'll have to bear with me. The data used is both sent and received. I have the 2GB plan, because I was worried about only having 200MB a month. As of today, I have 4 days left in my billing cycle. To date, I have used 191 MB of data.

So far as my daily usage, I do the following:

• E-mail (But not much. I receive about 3-5 e-mails a day. Sometimes more.)
  • Facebook App (Checked about 10 times a day)
  • CNN App (About 5 minutes a day)
  • Regular surfing (About 5-7 minutes a day)

I don't do the following unless I am connected to WiFi:

• Watch YouTube videos
  • Download apps or e-mail attachments

That's about it. This is my first month owning an iPhone and I must say that I am rather surprised that I am currently sitting under the 200MB mark. I invested in the 2GB plan because I was sure I was going to go over. I think I might stick with the 2GB plan though, as now I know I can use it a lot more! However, if you are limited to a 200MB plan, I wouldn't worry. Just check your data usage by dialing *3282#. This will send a text message to your phone instantly with fairly up-to-date data usage information.

Hope this helps.
I have a 500mb plan. I've only had the phone for two days and I already used 300mb!(I didn't even go on YouTube!)
I think the reason for that was because I forgot to turn the automatic email fetching thing off. Do you guys have it off as manual too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.