Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
My boss came in this morning all beaming and gloating about some new software he bought over the weekend called "Spykiller" and had me load it on the PC we use for our Desktop Publishing. After trying to convince him it didn't work on Macs, I did some researce and found out he really got screwed!!
http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html
So I tried to find something for the Mac but the only site I found for a download was terminated.

Are there any good spyware killers out there for Mac? :confused:
I get approximately 100 to 120 spam mails a day and have no clue as to what may be on the Mac as far as spyware (if it even exists)

Help!! :eek:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Sparky's said:
My boss came in this morning all beaming and gloating about some new software he bought over the weekend called "Spykiller" and had me load it on the PC we use for our Desktop Publishing. After trying to convince him it didn't work on Macs, I did some researce and found out he really got screwed!!
So I tried to find something for the Mac but the only site I found for a download was terminated.

I get approximately 100 to 120 spam mails a day and have no clue as to what may be on the Mac as far as spyware (if it even exists)

There's no spyware for the mac, so spyware killers don't do much good.

If you're getting spam, its not because of spyware, its because spammers have your email addresses, whcih they can get through any number of means. Depending on what you're using for email, you need to be using filters and things like that to stop the spam, and avoid putting your email out in places where spammers can collect it.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
No spyware

Sparky's said:

As far as I know there are no spyware on the Mac, the spam is been filtered pass on to you from your ISP if you use the juck mail filter on the mail program it should catch at least 90% of them and no even show it to you.

Check your preferences

dduchene

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Trick Question

To tell the truth this is a trick question. If you look at what some companies call spyware then yes there is spyware on Apples. In this case I am referring to cookies that compainnes like hitbox.com, Core metrics and such use that look at how you got to the site and connection speeds monitor resolution time on site and such. To the best of my knowledge these compaines never colect anything personal.
In My opinion the big deference between Spyware on the apple and the windows is that on a windows box it attacks and changes the system itself Browser highjackers Add Servers and the such. These take a lot of system resources and then there is the dialer highjackers that take over the dialer and dial a 900 number.
In the case of Mac OS the spyware is only from what I have been able to see in the last 20 months is the cookies and the Java scripts that collect information to help the people that build and deliver the websites to do there job better. I know that I am in the minority here however sense I have worked in the industry and seen how these work for real I have no problem with them.

I kind of got long winded here so to answer your question as simply as possible there is spyware that collects info that does work on ALL BROWSERS that have cookies and JS enabled. There is no spyware that I am aware of that attacks or installs itself on the apples as on the PC.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks for the replies. No disrespect intended I made this thread for 2 reasons, one to verify in my mind what I already thought, that spyware and such didn't really exist or was a very tiny threat, and 2 so I could have a little ammunition to show my boss that I really don't need it!

I use "Junk" filters With Outlook Express (OS 9.2.2) v.5.1 and filter through the unwanted stuff pretty well. Since my machine is the one that does about 90% of customer communication, (sending PDF proofs, job files back and forth etc.) I'm the one who's most apt to be targeted every time I have to go out and do research or other work out on the web. I need to keep OE connected and running all times while at work, so my boss thinks I'm like a sitting duck, just waiting to be "hooked"

It's interesting to see what the trends in spam are. the last couple of weeks I noticed this new scam out there for fake Rolex watches. I can't write filters fast enough to rid my mail box of them. Seems everyone on the web has a Rolex "hand crafted in Italy" that you know "Your girl wants to give you" What's up with that?

Between those and the "verify your account information 'here' messages I just forward them all to: spam@uce.gov thats the official Federal Gov site that fights internet spam. Well at least it goes into their trash not mine :rolleyes:

mjoinalexandria

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2004
Still worried about spyware for MACs

I am operating in OS X using the Panther upgradge. I use Safari as my browser. In recent days, I registered for several websites that will help me get continuing ed for a professional license I hold. Since then, I have noticed more popup ads. I fear spyware. I saw that a co sells a system that erradicates it on the MAC. It's $30. I will buy it if it really works, but don't want to waste my money. However, I am nervous about conducting any business or other transactions on my computer until I know better.

Input and advice will be great.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
go to the safari menu in safari and click on "block pop-up windows" no more pop ups ever.

i would not buy it, just clear your cookies if your paranoid.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
For the millionth time, it's Mac not MAC. It is not an acronym.

I swear I don't know what it is about Windows users that cannot get it through their head that Mac is not ALL CAPS.

And cookies in a web browser are not "spyware." Spyware is a hidden program that collects all kinds of info off of a computer, almost always a Windows PC, and sends it back to a host out on the internet somewhere.

Cookies are a legitimate tool to track you on one or more web sites or to record your personal settings for a large web site. When designed and used properly there is nothing wrong with cookies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.