Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fashioncheque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any idea when apple is fixing the iPhone 4 antenna defect? I've bought all other iPhone models, but I don't want a defective product. I wish they would fix this already. I spoken to a lot of people that returned their phones and got the 3GS.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Well it looks like you might want to hold off buying until next year as I doubt apple will refresh the model anytime soon. Either stick to your 3GS or buy another phone.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any idea when apple is fixing the iPhone 4 antenna defect? I've bought all other iPhone models, but I don't want a defective product. I wish they would fix this already. I spoken to a lot of people that returned their phones and got the 3GS.

I've spoken to a lot of people that have upgraded to the iPhone 4 from the iPhone 3GS and are completely satisfied. Plus, this antenna problem is not exclusive to the iPhone 4, hold any phone in a death grip and you are more likely to loose bars, including the iPhone 3GS, 3G and Original iPhone.

If the current iPhone doesn't meet your current needs, then maybe the current iPhone is just not for you.

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
There are already several post on this topic in here. The iPhone 4 is not defective but if this is what you choose to believe then I would wait until iPhone 5 comes out next year.

Fashioncheque

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010

I've spoken to 2 people that said the 3GS dropped fewer calls. I want to upgrade, but I'll wait till they fix the defect. They did admit the problem. Seems like the obvious thing to do is fix it.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
It's possible they could fix it when they have to bring out new hardware for Verizon. IMO a full hardware update (different screen or camera etc) is very unlikely though, but a fix may happen.

Gli.Azzuri

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
why downgrade? i've had not one dropped call with my ip4 and if you are then put a case on it.. you should have one anyway if you care to protect it.
iPhone 4 > iPhone 3gs anyway who in the world would downgrade?

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria

I've spoken to 2 people that said the 3GS dropped fewer calls. I want to upgrade, but I'll wait till they fix the defect. They did admit the problem. Seems like the obvious thing to do is fix it.

this post makes me call troll

Gli.Azzuri

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
...besides apple will not be making a fix until their next iPhone which they will probably be very cautious when it comes to choosing where the antenna will go. apple does recognise the problem but it isn't for everyone (did i mention the media has taken it too far, like they do for everything?)

but if you really want, wait another year until the next one comes out i guess. the choice is yours. ask any 'normal' person with an iphone 4 and they will tell you that they love every bit.

sirslaysalot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
as with some people here, i've also had better luck with the iphone 4. then again, compared to at&t, telcos here have a pretty solid coverage of the entire island.

Ars Diaboli

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Southern Red State
Just got my new Iphone 4 (in South Georgia - not an area known for the greatest AT&T coverage) and I have not noticed any difference ... yet. I got my iphone on Friday and it has behaved similarly to my older 3G. I've known about the deathgrip and it is still there ... but it only works in places where I know I only had marginal signal to begin with. My 3G dropped calls in these same places, so I am not placing an inordinate amount of seriousness to the deathgrip.

On a side note, I do believe the outside antenna band is a good idea. What Apple might do in the future is move the seams to a different location, say on the very bottom or on the very top, where it is not likely to be attenuated by the touch of fingers, etc.

And I've got to say, since I did not make the incremental jump from the the 3G to the 3GS to the i4, the iOS seems like it's working in hyperwarp. Way faster than what I was used to.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Like "Fliesen," call troll.

Millions of people world wide like it, he knows 2 people who returned it so he starts a thread just to announce it " defective"

Yep, troll.

jaysire

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Finland
The iPhone 4 is not defective

This is quite possibly the most incorrect statement I've seen on the internet in my entire life. Congratulations!

The antenna issue exists for ALL iPhone 4 -devices. Using a bumper makes it usable though. Using it naked will give you serious data transfer issues in certain areas - but only if you holding it "wrong". That's a defect in my book.

Having said that. No reason why the iPhone couldn't work well for you. Even with the defects...

My buddy also had an unusable iPhone 4 due to the proximity sensor issue (it would mute, hang up, video chat every call randomly). At least that one might be fixed if you just get another iPhone, which he did, but googling for a few seconds will tell you it's far from a unique problem. There are thousands of messages in the thread discussing this very issue in Apple's own discussion forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
This is quite possibly the most incorrect statement I've seen on the internet in my entire life. Congratulations!

The antenna issue exists for ALL iPhone 4 -devices. Using a bumper makes it usable though. Using it naked will give you serious data transfer issues in certain areas - but only if you holding it "wrong". That's a defect in my book.

Having said that. No reason why the iPhone couldn't work well for you. Even with the defects...

My buddy also had an unusable iPhone 4 due to the proximity sensor issue (it would mute, hang up, video chat every call randomly). At least that one might be fixed if you just get another iPhone, which he did, but googling for a few seconds will tell you it's far from a unique problem. There are thousands of messages in the thread discussing this very issue in Apple's own discussion forums.

Your book is wrong. To be technical, it's not a defect. Defects refer to the production process. If the antenna problem was due to a machine or human hand erring on the actual production of the phone (therefore requiring a recall by capitalistic standards), it'd be considered a defect. But since the machines and human hands didn't err on the antenna yet it's still wielding problems, it'd be considered a design flaw. Doesn't help you in the end, but you seemed pretty passionate about a false statement.

And technically, again, the prox. issue could be considered unique. Thousands of messages being your measure of commonality of the problem or not, considering an underestimated 9 million iPhone 4s have been sold, that's a .1% rate of problems. I'd consider that a pretty unique problem if less than a 100th of the users are experiencing the problem, using the same gauge you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.