Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisc983

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I've been using Navigon as my replacement GPS for work on my iPhone 4. My drive time from one location to the next is usually 15-30min and I have about 3-5 stops a day. I connect my iPhone to the car for charging. By me doing that am I damaging the battery life as I am not doing a full charge everytime??

I've heard to drain the battery to 20% every once in awhile to recalibrate the battery or how the iPhone detects the battery life...or something like that??

Thanks.

triptyx

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Many newer batteries don't have "memory" like the old rechargeables did, however, they do have a lifetime dictated by the number of recharges they receive. Constantly topping up may reduce the lifetime of your battery, but I just haven't heard enough about it from folks that frequently use car chargers to figure out what the effects would be.

Someone else with more experience may be able to better answer your question.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

While I don't use Navagon every day on my iPhone 4, I do use it a lot, and keep it on the charger while the app is running, and it hasn't hurt the battery life so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.