Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I'm very frustrated. I just want to be able to easily get quality HD video from my iphone 4 into MobileMe and be able to watch it on my Apple TV (2nd gen). It seems there are two issues. Apple TV will only play mobileme video if it's categorized as a "movie" and not in a photo album (which is where they normally show up when uploaded from iphoto). The only two ways I know of to get a video into mobileme as a "movie" is sharing through imovie (which itself is a pain as you first have to create a project from an event) or through quicktime. imovie won't let you upload greater than 540p and quicktime won't upload greater than SD. The only other ways to do this are via youtube, which compresses video, or via itunes but then my mac has to be on. I'm very surprised this is not possible. Am I missing something?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It seems to me that this is a limitation of the current iLife 09 software (including iPhoto and iMovie) which was out before the iPhone 4 was released with the HD video capabilities. There are rumors that iLife is scheduled to be updated next month which probably will include the new HD capabilities.

In the meantime, instead of using the built in presets you could just right click on a project and choose "Export Movie..." within iMovie and that gives you the 720p option. Of course, that solution still isn't optimal because it involves making the footage into a project first.

The solution I'm really looking forward to won't be coming until iOS 4.2 arrives in November with video over Airplay. At that time, you should be able to shoot footage in HD with your iPhone 4 and then immediately Airplay it over to your Apple TV and watch in the full 720p HD quality it was shot at without even having to download it to your computer. Now that would be killer. Plus you could even edit the movie in the iMovie app directly on the iPhone and then Airplay it again which would really be cool.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes iMovie can export in hd, but there is still no way to get it into MobileMe as a "movie" so atv can play it.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You should be able to login to Mobileme and upload the video from there. There is also the ability to email the video straight to your Mobileme Gallery using a special email address they provide which you can also do directly from your iPhone. I don't know if there are any resolution restrictions but I think there is a 1GB file size restriction. Still I think it will work a lot better when they update iLife.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
You should be able to login to Mobileme and upload the video from there. There is also the ability to email the video straight to your Mobileme Gallery using a special email address they provide which you can also do directly from your iPhone. I don't know if there are any resolution restrictions but I think there is a 1GB file size restriction. Still I think it will work a lot better when they update iLife.

You can only do this with "albums" on the mobileme site and ATV will not see movies within albums. They have to be uploaded into the movie section of mobileme which seems only possible from imovie or quicktime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.