Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyndman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Anyone else seeing this problem? Looked through he forum but saw no recent posts.

I have 15000 photos which are in some 90 folders. In old ATV no problem all display once sync'd.

In new ATV I am missing several photo albums and cannot display new albums.

It may be an iTunes issue as in the Advanced Menu in the under home sharing there is an option to select photos to share.

I noted that if I share all (in my Win7 pictures directory) that the list is also missing my other albums.

Has anyone noticed this or found a way around this? Just a little bit annoying.

My current workaround is to select only the folder I want to view and then change it as required but this is not a solution.

Love ATV2 and this is the only glitch I have found. Hope he apple guys fix this soon in what I suspect is an iTunes issue with ATV2.

hyndman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Could it be that the photo library is bigger than the storage available on the atv2?

that would explain the described behaviour.

I would not think so. The internal storage is 8GB and my photo library is in the region of 35GB and I can see 14000 or 15000 photos on the ATV2. I am not sure whether any of the 8GB is actually used for caching as the photos are streaming.

Again, it may not be an ATV2 issue. It does appear that the folder list I see on the ATV is driven from iTunes.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Pretty sure photos are cached to some degree.

My screensaver displays my photos even while computer is sleeping.

I did only select part of my library.

Haven't noticed anything, but I have a Mac with all photos in iphone library.

hyndman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Looks as if with the itunes 10.1 release this is now at least displaying the additional folders. There is still a small issue in that the folder list is not displayed correctly alphabetically. ;)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Mine is doing the same thing and I only have 1000 pictures to display. My old 40 gig ATV displays them fine. This one is only showing half and not shuffling them well at that. I'm about to unbox the 160 refurb I bought and take back the new one at this rate. At this point I wish they had given us the new box with the old software. I don't care about the storage. I like the lower power required on the new one and that it stays cool. Just make it work the same as the old one.

jwnelson301

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I too have the same problem. In iTunes it shows that I'm sharing 11,000 photos, but only a a fraction show up on the new AppleTV. My old AppleTV doesn't have this problem. I really love that feature, I hope this fix it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.