Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karohan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
How do I search for hidden files and system files like .plists? I have made hidden files visible in Finder but it still doesn't search for them.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Go to Finder > Command + F >

1zm30i0.png

karohan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for the replies! That definitely helps me find system files, but it still doesn't find any hidden files. I can seem to find a search attribute corresponding to that, though there are a lot and I may have missed it. I tried using the filter to look for "hidden" but that didn't come up with anything.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies! That definitely helps me find system files, but it still doesn't find any hidden files. I can seem to find a search attribute corresponding to that, though there are a lot and I may have missed it. I tried using the filter to look for "hidden" but that didn't come up with anything.
For finding hidden files:
ScreenCap 2.PNG

karohan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Sweet, thanks a bunch. Is there a way I can set these preferences to be my default?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sweet, thanks a bunch. Is there a way I can set these preferences to be my default?

No, but you can set Finder to always show hidden files.

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder​
To hide hidden files, repeat the process, replacing TRUE with FALSE.

I don't recommend it, though. It increases the chance of you accidentally deleting a needed system file and it clutters your desktop and Finder with files you don't need to see all the time.

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010

No, not as any global-type pref, unfortunately.

But, we can save searches and then open them later (e.g., from a stack on the dock). Saved searches are useful —not only for some specific complex search we might do frequently —but also for more general stuff. I.e., we can edit the criteria of any saved search later on... and then either save or not save those edits, accordingly. [it's easier to do than it is to explain... just try it.]

karohan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah, I figured out how to show hidden files in Finder and that was useful sometimes, but you're right, it's neater to keep that option off during standard use. I wish there was quick key shortcut to toggle that view on and off.

I might consider using saved searches, that's interesting make-shift sort of solution.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
This is a great hint. I had no idea you could customise the "Find" criteria (I tend to only use Spotlight). And searching for hidden files is very useful. Is there a place useful hints like this get catalogued?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I don't know of any specific place. I've used UNIX for 30 years -- it's an old UNIX program. Since OS X traces it's roots back to UNIX any source of UNIX hints can be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.