Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Hi -

I am seeing this problem quite some time now. I really did not bother much about it. Just wanted to see if anybody has experienced similar issues.

My office bldg has 10 floors and I sit on 8th, near a glass window.

From my place on 8th floor, whenever I try to locate myself using Google Maps default iPhone app I get "Your location could not be determined".

This happens 100% of the time from that place. If I go downstairs and move little away from the building I maps can track me down.

I am not sure why is happening. I do not have this issue anywhere else. At least I have not experience it.

My friend who also sits near me on 8th floor, away from the window, his iPhone works fine!

We both have iP4. I am jaibroken 4.0.1 and he is not on 4.0.1.

My installed JB apps are:

1. Lockinfo
2. SBSettings
3. Activator
4. iFile and AttachementSAver
5. OpenSSH.

There are some minor tweaks such as clock hide, libweather, foldercloser etc.

Have anyone of you experienced this issue?

I have tried resetting location services but that does not help.

One thing I have observed is, if I drag the map with my finger to totally different location let's say New York and then tap on locate me button, it find me correctly! The blue sphere turns gray in color though!

But when I am locating myself from the same location where I am it says Your location could not be determined!

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
There has been past threads talking about how OpenSSH being installed, even not in actual use has a known bug on screwing up GPS in v4.0.1. I would say try uninstalling SSH/respring/reboot etc..and then checking on your GPS locating ability again. If it works... there is your culprit. If it doesn't, then could be a sign you may need to restore/re-JB.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Good that someone brought this up.

Finally, I could never find any solution to my earlier problem (4.0.1 JB days)

Now I am 4.1 JB with limera1n.

Now the problem is little different. I do have all my previous apps including openSSH.

Now I do not work at the same place but work somewhere else on 2nd floor.

The problem now is, my phone GPS tracks me, about 7-8 miles away from my office building. I don't get any "location could not be determined issue" but this weird thing is happening now.

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
Now I do not work at the same place but work somewhere else on 2nd floor.

The problem now is, my phone GPS tracks me, about 7-8 miles away from my office building. I don't not get any "location could not be determined issue" but this weird thing is happening now.

Hehe, that's because in the Matrix, you aren't really where you think you are.. the GPS doesn't lie... just kidding. I don't know to be honest if there is another incompatibility in v4.1. I'm sure there are a lot of little subtle changes that need to be worked through over the course of the next few months before v4.2 drops and puts us all back on square one.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
There has been past threads talking about how OpenSSH being installed, even not in actual use has a known bug on screwing up GPS in v4.0.1. I would say try uninstalling SSH/respring/reboot etc..and then checking on your GPS locating ability again. If it works... there is your culprit. If it doesn't, then could be a sign you may need to restore/re-JB.

Okay. It works after removing openssh, but the iPod touch doesn't have a GPS so i don't know why it screws up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.