Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewBowman87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I was just wondering, what effect, if any, does the new Apple TV have on image quality of video files ripped from DVDs? Does anyone notice an improvement or decline in image quality from the previous Apple TV and the new one?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
It depends on how you rip your movies, but the AppleTV doesn't upconvert to 720p or anything, so you'll get the quality you rip.

Actually it does upconvert to the output resolution, which is 1280x720. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference though... its going to look the same as it did on the AppleTV v1. You can enable some additional x264 features in Handbrake which will reduce file size for the same RF value (but is also incompatible with AppleTV v1).

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
So is there any visual difference (assuming same file) in the new atv vs. the old? I understand, having followed the various handbrake discussions, that there could be some advantage when the settings are figured out but for existing files is there any benefit? I'm guessing no but figured I'd ask and it relates to this thread. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.