Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madhive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I know i might recieve some criticism from people but whatever.. it'l help some people out.

I got ripped off on craigslist buying a powermac g5 from some punk (literally... he lived in a warehouse with skate ramps and grafitti "art" )

Got this powermac, shady south side chicago kid, wont return for an antenna

Ive tried everything to use the airport extreme without an antenna, never get any signal without the side off.

Today i was using a safety pin (a large safety pin for a hoodie or jeans)

unclipped it and jammed it in the Dr. bott slot/hole ....wherever the port is on the back of your g5 that your antenna should go.

Somehow i realized that it took less than 5 minutes to load a facebook page, i then scanned for networks and damn, i saw my neighbors networks.

Had three bars on the third floor of my house, i flashed dd-wrt to my WRT54G :)
modded the tx output i think it was called.... then i increased it to 220 (i actually did this three years ago, i just am mentioning this because it helps....and does not kill your router any faster if it has proper ventilation to operate as if it were not transmitting any stronger)

Long story short

- Take a safety pin (one of those pins with the snap latches to rest the sharp part in if i am not referring to it correctly)

JAM it in the airport extreme's external port on the back of your g5 (assuming this is for g5 users that might've lost their antennas)

Once you got it in firmly and push rather hard (haha) check your signal

Sorry for the werid title, i've searched atleast 6 hours on google to find a solution to my problem without finding a $45 antenna from apple, i am too poor to buy most apple products.

Hope i helped out & didon't agrivate many people :)

Peace&Plur on this one. I probabilly sound uneducated & rude, sorry if i do D:

Johnny7

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Whoa thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember this. I'm gonna try it with a comp I got from school that had the card installed but no antenna :s. I just hope it won't break anything :eek:.

madhive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Glad it worked out for you. Good idea.

Apple wants $45 for the antenna? That's crazy.

I must have at least 5 unused ones in my desk at work.

Whattt!? You're lucky as hell! & it can break the little chrome rib...thing, but that serves no purpose, my sister broke that off, and an antenna went on just fine, but then she took it back (she has a g5) and this works better than hers, i hot glued it to the back. It doesnt look as bad as it might sound, and i took it off, no residue, winwinwin :)

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Nothing to see here...

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:

madhive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Is this what you need?

Apple part number 603-3420, Model A1066.

If you message me your address I can mail you one if you want. I have a number of them with no use for them. Our G5s are using the gigabit ethernet and have no use for airport antennas (and they don't have airport cards anyway, not sure why Apple includes the antenna even if you don't buy the airport card option).

I can't really promise prompt shipping, but you get what you pay for (in this case, free).

-Benjamin

Don't even worry about how fast shipping is, you don't know how much i appreciate this, thank you so much man!! :D

tagbrown81

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Antennas?

Is this what you need?

Apple part number 603-3420, Model A1066.

If you message me your address I can mail you one if you want. I have a number of them with no use for them. Our G5s are using the gigabit ethernet and have no use for airport antennas (and they don't have airport cards anyway, not sure why Apple includes the antenna even if you don't buy the airport card option).

I can't really promise prompt shipping, but you get what you pay for (in this case, free).

-Benjamin

Do you have any more of the Antennas? My daughter broke mine and I need a new one.

photosteve

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
MESSAGE to BTBROSSARD

HELP! Any chance you have any more of those antenna's around. I desperately need one. I can pay for shipping if that helps. Please let me know if you do and let me know how to contact you with my information.
I would GREATLY appreciate!

Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Sales outside the marketplace on this site is prohibited. That will get you banned.

Just remove the side door and/or use the safety pin mod to use as an external antenna. Otherwise those antennas are <$20 on ebay.

ginkilla

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
I would ship you one for free like I did with the other user, but apparently I made someone mad.

Sorry.

Do you still have any of the antennas? Wifi and/or bluetooth? I can't figure out how to send private messages... E-mail me if you want...

mobile at murphworld dot com

BobbyBayhbe

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
PowerMac G5 External AirPort Antenna

I know speaking of sales is "banned" on here, but if anyone has a PowerMac G5 External AirPort Antenna they would like to kindly donate to me that would be great! I am in much need of one and not willing to pay the $40+ or so to get one on eBay or Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.