Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDLai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I have an iPhone 3GS (new bootrom) at 4.01 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. My current problem is I just found out that the volume button on my headphones are not working. I tried in the phone app, ipod app, youtube app and skype and none of them worked. However, the microphone on the headphone is still working and I can use it for phone/skype calls.

At first I thought my headphones broke down but the headphone volume button actually worked on my friend's iphone 3GS. I tried restarting or respringing but still no luck. I am guessing now that there is either something wrong with my hardware or there is something wrong with the iOS in my phone. The jailbreak apps I installed are bitesms, 3G unrestrictor, lockinfo, popup blocker and sbssettings. I noticed that Activator is installed as well but I never used it nor mess around with its settings and I checked the settings nothing have been assigned.

I wanted to try restoring but I am just waiting for the new pwngetool to come out before I restore it. Any idea of what went wrong with my phone? It is still under warranty so I can always bring it back to apple store for a replacement if it is a hardware issue.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seen like a hardware issue, I don't see any app (or a way to) disabling the volume function on the headphones, I would recommend a clean restore and an Apple Genius Appointment (if you still got AppleCare)

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Haven't had or seen this as a JB problem. Maybe find some way to blow the headphone connector out. A bulb duster would be the best thing. I've has it happen before with the button on the headphones not working but subsequently pulling out the jack and plugging it back in cleared the problem.

MrDLai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Yea, I am gonna try to do a clean restore tonight after trying to clean the headphone jack. Since I got SHSH saved from 4.0 all the way to 4.1 I can always restore back to 4.0.1 without upgrading the baseband, right?

I just got this phone replaced in August due to multiple cracks (white iphone 3gs, common problem) and my warranty for the phone is one year which I have until Jan 2011 :)

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can always restore back to 4.0.1 without upgrading the baseband, right?

I don't think that is possible yet with a 3GS (Only iP4) you need to wait until Sunday when Pwnage tool will be release.

Funny, you just asked that, MuscleNerd just post tis 7 min ago

MuscleNerd said:
If you hear "just use Umbrella" to preserve baseband, that only works on iPhone4! You'll lose unlock doing that on 3G/3GS

MrDLai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Even if I restore back to 4.0.1 (not 4.1)? I know the tinyumbrella thing is for iphone 4 only but I assumed that it is more relevant to upgrading to 4.1?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even if I restore back to 4.0.1 (not 4.1)? I know the tinyumbrella thing is for iphone 4 only but I assumed that it is more relevant to upgrading to 4.1?

Yeah you may be right, I don;t think 4.0.1 update the baseband, but just check around

emceeaye

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
want to clean restore back to 4.0.1 from 4.1

Hi,
similar dilemma--My iphone 3gs was experiencing drastic battery drain after jailbreaking to 4.1 from jailbroken 4.0.1. So, after a few weeks of only 5-6 hours/day of usability, I decided to restore to 4.0.1 with the hopes of re-jailbreaking as others here have done to remediate the battery drain problem. I did manage to get my firmware back down to 4.0.1, but now I can only make emergency calls! Prior to this downgrade, the phone was jailbroken and unlocked using Pwnage Tool from 4.0.1 to 4.1. And before that, it had been jailbroken from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1 using jailbreakme. It's a 3gs with new bootrom and still with baseband 5.13.04-5.4_M3S2. What can I do to get it either restored to 4.0.1 cleanly like others have done and have it be unlocked and jailbroken, or to re-jailbreak it back to 4.1 and unlock it effectively?

When people say they do a "clean restore", does that mean they just restore the factory firmware for 4.0.1 with iTunes? And if so, doesn't this compromise their ability to jailbreak and unlock in the future because it updates the baseband?

At this point, when I try to re-jailbreak it back to 4.1 (from this emergency calls only state) using the Pwnage Tool, I get errors 1600, 1601, 1602 on my Mac and it doesn't work. Any help with this would go a long way for me...

Thank you in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.