Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMarcusx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have my apple tv hooked up to hdmi and optical. I am trying to make video come out of the hdmi but no sound. The optical is hooked up to my sound system. The apple tv is sending sound to both inputs so XD.

iMarcusx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah I could do that, but I was wondering if there was a setting for it. Something built into the apple tv.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Yeah I could do that, but I was wondering if there was a setting for it. Something built into the apple tv.

The first time I used my ATV I turned the sound on my television to zero. I haven't had to touch it since. When I play something on the ATV, the TV sound is automatically set to zero. I don't know how it remembers - and I frankly don't care. It just works.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The first time I used my ATV I turned the sound on my television to zero. I haven't had to touch it since. When I play something on the ATV, the TV sound is automatically set to zero. I don't know how it remembers - and I frankly don't care. It just works.

A lot of HDTVs have a “disable/mute sound” for different sources option in their menu.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, but that's not what I did. I just tuned the sound down with the volume control.
The TV remembers where the setting for each input is. That's quite common. The same way many TVs will remember different color settings for each input independently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.