Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SystmDcln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
I love using Chrome. Here recently tho for Mac the first time I fire up the browser it takes forever to load up completely. Probably a full minute. After the first use it loads up in seconds. This has frustrated me to the point where I went back to Safari. Any fixes for this?

SystmDcln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Yes. But I'm trying to remedy for faster startup on the first load. I've never noticed it being this slow before on first startup.

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
yes me too, I hate turning off my mbp because at start up everything is really slooow, now I just have it go to sleep and only turn it off when it's really slow like after running parallels or something like that :)

SystmDcln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Yes the browser is amazing after it loads up. My problem is the first time I start it up it takes almost literally a full minute to become ready for use. Safari takes like 3 seconds every single time. Why is this? and how do I fix it?

iPhonePhan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Apple FanBoy Land
Yes the browser is amazing after it loads up. My problem is the first time I start it up it takes almost literally a full minute to become ready for use. Safari takes like 3 seconds every single time. Why is this? and how do I fix it?

I'm experiencing the same problem as well. Anyone have a solution?

robm2002

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Same slow speed from me

This is happening to me too. Very slow to start up the browser for the first time, sometimes a minute plus.

I'm using a good spec iMac, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder whether it's because I've got loads of favourites saved...?

Whatever the reason, its irritating. Anybody have anymore information as to why it might be happening?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
This is happening to me too. Very slow to start up the browser for the first time, sometimes a minute plus.

I'm using a good spec iMac, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder whether it's because I've got loads of favourites saved...?

Whatever the reason, its irritating. Anybody have anymore information as to why it might be happening?

Delete all the support files in user/app/support/Google. Restart Chrome.

truthsmiles

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
The old-fashioned way

I know I'm late to the party here, but I finally "solved" this problem for myself and wanted to share that it actually worked for me....

Yes, it's the “no surprise” solution, but after more than a year of waiting at least 2 minutes for Chrome to start up enough to allow me to start typing something (quad core mac), I finally caved and exported my bookmarks (Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager > Organize > Export to HTML), went into my Applications, deleted the Chrome app, and went into User/Library/Application Support/ and deleted the entire Chrome folder.

Then, I opened Safari, went to http://www.google.com/mac, and downloaded and installed Chrome fresh, and re-imported my bookmarks.

It’s literally 100 times faster to start (that’s no joke – it went from something like 120 seconds to open to less than a second). Now no sooner do I click the icon and it's ready to go. Yes, I lost all my history and probably some plugins, but the difference is totally worth it to me.

Of course, there is probably a more elegant way to solve this problem, but this actually worked for me, and I wanted to share for those of you too impatient to go through all the stupid DNS changes and other crazy hacks/fixes.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.