Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKBorgs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
England
I have just obtained a ATV2 which I have connected wirelessly to my Netgear Modem Router and can stream successfully. The router also has the facility for USB connectivity and I have attached an external 1TB hard drive which can be accessed wirelessly and wired (LAN) from both my MBP and PC.

My question is, if I place all my media on the external HD, what is the best way to play that media (say iTunes downloaded films, rather than rented) on my ATV2?

I have yet to try streaming from the MBP, if that is possible, but can some please help me out?

I have attached a rough diagram of my setup to assist. The red line is what I am trying to achieve, hopefully wirelessly.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-16 at 20.58.12.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-16 at 20.58.12.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 86

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
once you enable home sharing, it should work fine.

if you point itunes to your library on your external (and set it not to copy back to the itunes folder), you should be able to stream from with your desktop or your MBP to that library over wireless. if you have an AEBS and osx 10.6, you can set it to wake on netowrk activity too.

I have a similar setup, I have a mac mini server with a 3tb external that im keeping my movies on, I have itunes on the mini pointed to that external, and on all of my ATV2's, I can see the mini and all the content shared on it.

UKBorgs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
England
once you enable home sharing, it should work fine.

if you point itunes to your library on your external (and set it not to copy back to the itunes folder), you should be able to stream from with your desktop or your MBP to that library over wireless. if you have an AEBS and osx 10.6, you can set it to wake on netowrk activity too.

I have a similar setup, I have a mac mini server with a 3tb external that im keeping my movies on, I have itunes on the mini pointed to that external, and on all of my ATV2's, I can see the mini and all the content shared on it.

Ok I have enable home sharing and it all seems to be connected, but can you please explain the process you are describing for a idiot like me? I was hoping that I would not have to turn my PC or MBP on and instead stream from the external harddrive through the router to ATV2? Is that possible?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Ok I have enable home sharing and it all seems to be connected, but can you please explain the process you are describing for a idiot like me? I was hoping that I would not have to turn my PC or MBP on and instead stream from the external harddrive through the router to ATV2? Is that possible?

No.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

You need to have iTunes running for the whole thing to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.